EMERGENCY!! Prolapsed penis on drake I'm showing - I need a VERY quick fix

I don't have ducks but I once saw an episode of Dr Dee Alaskan Vet where she treated a drake with a prolapsed penis. :)rolleyes: yes I'm referencing a tv show) It had been to long so she had to remove it. It will not grow back. She said he will still attempt to mate but won't make fertile eggs. So if you use him for breeding...
I have also heard of using sugar for prolapse on females of several species. Personally I think you have nothing to lose in trying sugar.

I just researched it. Drakes naturally lose their penis each season like an umbilical cord, and it regrows at the start of the new one. Wondering if this is just it falling out...

I posted this on another thread the OP made, please try to keep to 1 thread otherwise it gets confusing for all trying to help...

No, cutting it off is*not* the best solution, it is a last resort IF the tissue has gone necrotic... and no, they do not grow back... once it is gone, it is gone... cutting it off may save a life, if it comes to that, but don't expect fertility to be guaranteed in spring... if the whole part is removed, they are essentially sterilized... even partially can hinder them as ducks have convoluted inside systems to deter unwanted drake sperm...

Can you post pics of the injury? Need to assess how bad the damage is as to what course of action to proceed with... sorry, the well-being of the drake supercedes a show.... if not treated properly, prolapsed *can* end in death...

Treatment that was successful for another member was using coconut oil and raw, unpasteurized honey... I *believe* Preparation H works as well...

Please get this poor drake properly treated asap...

I just researched it. Drakes naturally lose their penis each season like an umbilical cord, and it regrows at the start of the new one. Wondering if this is just it falling out...

Ravyn has given you good advice, and I just wanted to post as well to say that this is completely false. They definitely do not lose their penis every year and then grow it back. I'm actually very curious where you read this misinformation since it's based in no fact whatsoever.

Back
Top Bottom