EMERGENCY!! Prolapsed penis on drake I'm showing - I need a VERY quick fix

EMGNPenises12.jpg

:thThat is so creepy!

Bit of a strange thought, and worth pointing out I've never had a duck.

But with snakes I've had babies that continuously prolapsed and just didn't have a chance for the prolapse to stay in long enough for the muscle to recover and grow stronger to stop another one.

I was just thinking, and it probably isn't possible... I'm imagining it'd probably be difficult to have the drake cooperate, the shape of them would probably further hinder it, then another ducks picking on them...

But could you clean it up nicely, put some coconut oil on it, then push it back in (unless it's too swollen to go back in), then use vet wrap (self adhesive bandage that won't stick to feathers, often used on horses) around their body over the cloaca to stop it falling out again, and it may give the muscles time to recover?

Again I imagine this may not be feasible in real life, but I don't have a bird to practice it on/look at and decide that absolutely won't work lol.

Edit: lol what a brain fart moment. Totally overlooked needing to use the toilet. How silly of me

Last edited:
I been reading not commenting... my experience is not with ducks but the topic caught my attention.

Trust me People tent to perpetuate info without VERIFYING it with a knowledgeable person... Like a vet... Or a Scientific article...

Please please do dilligence on research and Verify... Scientifically speaking Wild ducks are no different than domestic. My area of expertise is in horses.... not ducks but I have seen alot of misinformation quoted and requoted again and again.

I know alot... But the more I know the more I find out how much I dont know... So I would never profess to be an expert...

deb

I assume you have Percherons... if you have or start another thread with pics of your horses I would love to see it!

I assume you have Percherons... if you have or start another thread with pics of your horses I would love to see it!
in Fifty years of having horses I have only had one horse at a time... With the exception of a mare that I bred. Right now I have my last horse. The only successful thread I ever started Is listed in a link within my signature. Its been quiet some time now.

deb

Bit of a strange thought, and worth pointing out I've never had a duck.

But with snakes I've had babies that continuously prolapsed and just didn't have a chance for the prolapse to stay in long enough for the muscle to recover and grow stronger to stop another one.

I was just thinking, and it probably isn't possible... I'm imagining it'd probably be difficult to have the drake cooperate, the shape of them would probably further hinder it, then another ducks picking on them...

But could you clean it up nicely, put some coconut oil on it, then push it back in (unless it's too swollen to go back in), then use vet wrap (self adhesive bandage that won't stick to feathers, often used on horses) around their body over the cloaca to stop it falling out again, and it may give the muscles time to recover?

Again I imagine this may not be feasible in real life, but I don't have a bird to practice it on/look at and decide that absolutely won't work lol.

Edit: lol what a brain fart moment. Totally overlooked needing to use the toilet. How silly of me
I would imagine that if you removed the wrap and cleaned under it a few times a day that it wouldn't be any worse than putting a diaper on him. In fact, you could possibly put a diaper against his cloaca and then wrap with the vetwrap, it would still apply some pressure, but would absorb the moisture if/when he poops.

I think there are a bunch of us that would notice lots of little penises laying around our yards if they actually shed them yearly :lau

I know this is a serious topic, but you are SO FUNNY! :lau It caught me off guard & I 'literally' laughed out loud so hard that I cried & nearly pee'd a little.

Thanks everyone for your interest. He seems to be fine, but the prolapse hasn't gotten much better. I've been treating him daily though. I was cleared by the show supervisors and the vet to show him, and just explained to the judge that it had only happened a day or two before the show. He just ignored it, and my Breeding Pen ended up getting Grand Champion for Standard Duck Breeding Pen and Reserve Champion for Overall Poultry Breeding Pen. He luckily doesn't seem to be stressed out or in pain. I keep pushing it in daily, using the Orajel and Vaseline to keep it moist.

The judge actually told me that he has dealt with it a couple times and that his drake's just fell off. He also clarified for me that duck penises can regrow.

Again, thanks all for your help! Hopefully, my drake gets better, pushing the prolapse in is less of a struggle than it was before, so I'm hopeful.

I keep pushing it in daily, using the Orajel and Vaseline to keep it moist.

I certainly hope you are not using Orajel, it contains benzocaine and the -caine anesthetics should never be used on waterfowl...

He needs to be kept Isolated and Away from all females, preferably in a darkened crate to keep him calm and less stressed for the prolapse to relax and retract properly...

Also, I would have asked the vet, not the judge about the prolapse... no APA judge would say that, to my knowledge... if it was a Fair judge, many are volunteers and not as knowledgeable as certified APA judges that specialize in waterfowl...

I'm sorry, but it is just not true... I majored in Animal Husbandry and took Animal Biology in college... waterfowl are incapable of regrowing ANY appendage on ANY part of their body...

Back
Top Bottom