1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Emergency question about feed

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by max13077, Sep 7, 2008.

1. max13077

max13077 Chillin' With My Peeps

My local TSC store where I get all my feed is out of the usual stuff I offer, 20% chick starter. I'm just about out. I called another tsc 30 miles away but they’re out too. Each were skipped on feed deliveries the past two weeks. However they have an actual broiler feed but it’s medicated. I read it’s a big no-no to give medicated feed to chicks who have been vaccinated. However what about birds that are 8 weeks old?

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
  3. max13077

max13077 Chillin' With My Peeps

I actually think that's who makes this broiler feed they have. I just wasn't sure if it was OK to feed.

4. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

As TSC if they have game bird/Turkey starter. I am useing it now, because there is no "broiler feed" local here either. This turkey feed is 22 % protiene. The chicks are doing fin on it, and have been on it for a week so far. 50 chicks can sure go through feed fast! LOL

5. pdpatch

pdpatch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2008
    Hastings, Nebraska
    By 8 weeks the immunity system of chicks has fully developed. So feeding medicated feed should not be a problem. It also depends on the shots they got, some shots are not effected by using medicated feed some are.

For broilers/meat birds you can use wild game starter or growers, But you might want to add cracked corn or rolled oats.

Tom

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by