Emergency! Regular Seizures, swollen leg joints, bad foot

MilotheQuail

In the Brooder
Jan 23, 2019
California, USA
Hi everyone.
A few months ago my female quail hurt her foot. I think she might have landed on it wrong and got it a bit twisted, and had Bumblefoot for a bit. I gave her some Epsom salt baths and applied triple antibiotic ointment. I thought nothing much of it cause I figured she’d get better, and she did seem to walk fine for a while. I no longer saw any scabs on her foot. But in the recent month, she seems to be getting worse. Her foot is very swollen and her leg joint (hock?) is also a bit swollen. Occasionally she flips over and has trouble getting up. I thought it was her bad foot.
So today, I gave her a foot bath to clean off her foot and applied some petroleum jelly because the top of foot seems dirty. Right after the bath, I wrapped her in a towel.
I noticed she started making some clicking noise and shaking on regular intervals, while putting her head down with her neck stretched out (like every two minutes)—she tends to flop over at this point. At first I thought she was choking on something and wanted to clear her airway but it’s still happening. Is this a seizure? I have no idea why this is happening. I didn’t notice until after the bath but now I suspect she has been doing it for a while, but it’s so often I’m not sure if it got a lot worse all of a sudden.
What should I do?

For background info:
Her enclosure has a concrete floor but I’ve been covering the floor with towels as much as possible so it’s softer for her. The feed store I go to ran out of game bird starter/feed, so I’ve been feeding her some Scratch and Peck chick starter like this for a few months: https://www.amazon.com/Scratch-Peck...&keywords=chick+starter&qid=1605927889&sr=8-7

Attachments

• 003FC044-3ED7-416B-A2E2-67CAAA221409.jpeg
    003FC044-3ED7-416B-A2E2-67CAAA221409.jpeg
    595.7 KB · Views: 14
  • D1BBD1A5-B4A6-4C9D-BEF6-F3FC276F0866.jpeg
    D1BBD1A5-B4A6-4C9D-BEF6-F3FC276F0866.jpeg
    428.5 KB · Views: 6
  • D4C6E01D-B47F-40FD-A1D1-376049B8F8E3.jpeg
    D4C6E01D-B47F-40FD-A1D1-376049B8F8E3.jpeg
    643.4 KB · Views: 6
I couldn’t figure out how to attach a video as a file, so I uploaded it here. She seems to make clicking noises and flip over during these episodes, and they are occurring about every minute. I don’t know how she’s even going to sleep.

Here is another video of it. She only makes these clicking noises as she has the seizure or something. I’m not sure how well you can hear them if at all in the video though.
In the background you can hear the male quail; he eats the same kind of food but is very healthy. I keep them separate because he would overmate with her otherwise. Please help, I am very worried!

Oh gosh, poor dear!

It looks like possible infection in the joint and the video scares me because the infection may have gone systemic which is deadly if not caught in time.

Do you have any antibiotics like Doxycycline or even Amoxicillin? Human stuff is ok too. I think she needs antibiotics asap.

You can get either of these at Twin Cities Poultry here...

https://www.twincitypoultrysupplies.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1120

https://www.twincitypoultrysupplies.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1196

Thank you all so much.
Unfortunately most places seem to be closed for the weekend right now, and I am having trouble contacting the places that see birds/exotic animals (there doesn't seem to be many where I live). It may take some time for them to get to me. I will try to call up more places and see what they say.

I don't think I have any antibiotics right now. I will look around and if I can't find any, I will order some.

Thank you all so much.
Unfortunately most places seem to be closed for the weekend right now, and I am having trouble contacting the places that see birds/exotic animals (there doesn't seem to be many where I live). It may take some time for them to get to me. I will try to call up more places and see what they say.

I don't think I have any antibiotics right now. I will look around and if I can't find any, I will order some.
Keep us posted, :hugsdefinitely keep her very warm, upwards of 80 degrees. Sick birds are often quite cold and can go into shock.

I definitely believe it's an infection, probably due to the bumble foot and Ergot poisoning.

The seizures are most likely caused by the scratch grains your feeding. The feed is contaminated with Ergot.

Ergot is a fungi that attacks cereal grains, such as wheat and rye. The mycotoxins that cause ergotism form in the grains. These ergot alkaloids affect the nervous system causing convulsions and other neurologic disorders. In the vascular system vasoconstriction and gangrene of the extremities can form vesicles on the legs, toes, hocks that will rupture.

I've had pheasants and quail with Ergot poisoning, your bird is showing classic signs of it. It's usually not fatal, if the use of the contaminated feed is discontinued.
That having been said, I haven't had a bird with the combination of both symptoms. I'd recommend a veterinarian visit, if possible? for the leg problem.

I feel for ya, :hugs those seizures are frightening when they occur, you literally think the poor bird is dying!

Last edited:
Thank you. That could be it. I've been feeding the same feed to both the male and female quails for quite some time so I doubt it was in the feed to begin with, but it's possible the feed got contaminated while she was outside or she ate something weird. I just got some new Wild Game Grower feed that I'll be giving her now, and I'll be washing the food bowls and throwing out the old stuff. I also gave her a bit of boiled egg.
She's mostly just sitting in one place (probably due to her foot), but other than that, she's fairly calm and alert. She seems to be a bit better than yesterday.
One avian hospital I've been looking at is booked until mid-December, and the other places won't be open until Monday, so it may be a while until I'm able to get an appointment.
Thankfully I live in CA so it's not as cold as other places, but I've added a small heater in the room where she is.

Back
Top Bottom