Emergency Silkie not moving... Please Help

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Mod1313, Sep 9, 2013.

1. Mod1313

Mod1313 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 8, 2013
    Came home today and she was laying under coop. I picked her up and seemed life less. I have removed her from the coop and have her in a pet carrier at the moment. She moves her head some but has not walked? Any Ideas what could be wrong.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Could she have heatstroke ? Is it very hot there? Will she drink water? Has she been vaccinated for Mareks disease?

3. Mod1313

Aug 8, 2013
    No she has not.. I live in pa and it has not been warm here at all.. I went out and bought corid to treat her for maybe coccidiosis . I dropped it in her mouth.. She was fine yesterday.

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Coccidiosis usually strikes chickens less than 10 weeks old, but it can occur in older chickens if a new strain has been brought in by new chickens, if chickens have changed homes, and on peoples shoes or car tires. Treatment is 2 tsp liquid for 5-7 days. You may need to coax her to drink it or put a little on her chick feed.

5. Mod1313

Aug 8, 2013
    I have only introduced one new bird and that was over a month ago.. All birds came from same lady.. I have had the silkies since they were babies. She will be 18 weeks Saturday. I am not sure what happen she was fine then wasnt. Very life less.. Eyes closed.. I figured I try this stuff and see if it works .. I hope she is okay.. It may be a male not sure ;)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by