Emergency turkey processing

NY Coturnix

Songster
May 12, 2020
New York
I've watched the videos and had my plan in place to have my 6 BB turkey processed at a local Amish farm where I could watch and do myself in the future.

Change of plans last night. I got home let my turkey out. A mix of heritage and BB. Noticed one hen missing and found her in the corner with an awful hole on her back. I immediately carrier her out of the pen and culled her. It looked like the males may have gotten into a fight and she somehow got in the way. They all hatched on 4/27 so the 4 toms are very large. I don't think it was an attempt to breed as much as a trampling but I honestly don't know. Anyway, I've seen the videos but was in no way prepared to butcher so I did the quick method I've seen done with wild turkey. Basically skinned and harvested the breast, legs, and thighs. I did it all on the ground behind my house with hose to wash while I was doing it. Took about 15 min and then I took inside to the kitchen to clean and pack the meat in zip lock freezer bags.

Here's my question. The meats currently in my refrigerator. My plan is to repack in new bags tonight and then put in the freezer. Am I okay doing this or should I wait another day or so. I basically put the breast in separate bags and the legs and thighs in another. Should I wash again before freezing and dry the meat or should I just transfer to a new bag and then put in the freezer.

Thanks for any advise

I've watched the videos and had my plan in place to have my 6 BB turkey processed at a local Amish farm where I could watch and do myself in the future.

Change of plans last night. I got home let my turkey out. A mix of heritage and BB. Noticed one hen missing and found her in the corner with an awful hole on her back. I immediately carrier her out of the pen and culled her. It looked like the males may have gotten into a fight and she somehow got in the way. They all hatched on 4/27 so the 4 toms are very large. I don't think it was an attempt to breed as much as a trampling but I honestly don't know. Anyway, I've seen the videos but was in no way prepared to butcher so I did the quick method I've seen done with wild turkey. Basically skinned and harvested the breast, legs, and thighs. I did it all on the ground behind my house with hose to wash while I was doing it. Took about 15 min and then I took inside to the kitchen to clean and pack the meat in zip lock freezer bags.

Here's my question. The meats currently in my refrigerator. My plan is to repack in new bags tonight and then put in the freezer. Am I okay doing this or should I wait another day or so. I basically put the breast in separate bags and the legs and thighs in another. Should I wash again before freezing and dry the meat or should I just transfer to a new bag and then put in the freezer.

Thanks for any advise
I would wait personally until rigormortis has passed to freeze. Sounds like what we do with our small cockerels though we take way longer

Whenever I’ve processed chickens, they were put on ice for a day before freezing. I am, by no means, a professional. But I used a professionals facilities and had her there each time making sure I did it all right. I think you’re fine as long as you’re confident in the cleaning process you performed AND the cuts you saved were not exposed due to the injuries. If it were me, I’d mark the bags and just make sure those pieces are a little more well done when cooking just in case.

Whenever I’ve processed chickens, they were put on ice for a day before freezing. I am, by no means, a professional. But I used a professionals facilities and had her there each time making sure I did it all right. I think you’re fine as long as you’re confident in the cleaning process you performed AND the cuts you saved were not exposed due to the injuries. If it were me, I’d mark the bags and just make sure those pieces are a little more well done when cooking just in case.
All the injuries were on her back. Poor thing tried to walk back to the pen when I set her down. I didn't keep anything near the injured area.

Back
Top Bottom