EMERGENCY Very Weak Gosling

Allisha

Songster
7 Years
Mar 2, 2013
Guys, I have had nothing but bad experiences with goslings. The past two day I have noticed one of my two goslings pretty weak. I am rather concerned about her. She is acting relatively alert, is not wheezing, and has no bumps or lumps. However, she is extremely wobbly and weak. Sometimes when she is walking forward, she gets so weak and will just tip forward. he kind of leans upwards, and she just is not acting right. She is drinking quite normally, but will not bathe anymore and just lays down. She will not each much at either, nothing is appetizing for her either. Grain, grass, peas, lettuce, nothing. GUYS I NEED HELP. Before she gets worse and eventually dies. Niacin deficiency? Mold? Parasites? The other gosling is acting very normally. They were born in early May, would niacin still be an issue? Would it cause her to not be interested in food? Her eyes look good, or neck is good. Just not interested in food, a little weak, and very wobbly on her feet. Should I flood her system with everything, or try one thing first? Nutritional yest, dewormers, antibiotics? Vet is not an option. I must add that she is nibbling at grain and grass a little but will not eat it.

I feel so bad to see your baby so weak. I’m not very experienced myself in geese or poultry in general but I’m a beginner and still learning. I have two White Chinese goslings of my own. I’m much more experienced with horses and rabbits. But I’ll do my best to help you and tell you what I would do! I’m sure someone would contradict me for what I would do, but I see that no one has replied and I really want to help you!! You say it might be Niacin deficiency. If I were you, I’d give the gosling Niacin. It’s good that you’re watching, keep doing that. Make sure your gosling is drinking and staying hydrated. I’m not sure what you feed your goslings, but Mazuri Waterfowl Starter is really good. My goslings dine on it and love it. When an animal acts like this, I try feeding them their most favourite treat. If they won’t eat that, they probably won’t eat anything else. Once they start taking more interest in their favourite foods, they’re more likely to take interest in their main food. I’ve never had my goslings tip forward when they walk forward because they’re weak. But I have had a rabbit have that issue. Usually, it’s because he has an imbalance in his ear. Ears have a lot to do with balance. (I know this may seem odd, but you could try rubbing it’s stomach? That’s what I do with my rabbit when his stomach gets upset. It helps a lot! Maybe your gosling is experiencing constipation or gas?) But if it’s because your gosling is weak, then I would stick around the gosling for basically the whole day, watching over it. It’s key for it to stay hydrated. Make sure it stays hydrated, that’s huge. After a while, it likely will start to take more interest in eating. The main thing is to see if your gosling has gotten better after 24 hours. Keep monitoring. I wish the best for you and your gosling! Please keep us updated.

Guys, I have had nothing but bad experiences with goslings. The past two day I have noticed one of my two goslings pretty weak. I am rather concerned about her. She is acting relatively alert, is not wheezing, and has no bumps or lumps. However, she is extremely wobbly and weak. Sometimes when she is walking forward, she gets so weak and will just tip forward. he kind of leans upwards, and she just is not acting right. She is drinking quite normally, but will not bathe anymore and just lays down. She will not each much at either, nothing is appetizing for her either. Grain, grass, peas, lettuce, nothing. GUYS I NEED HELP. Before she gets worse and eventually dies. Niacin deficiency? Mold? Parasites? The other gosling is acting very normally. They were born in early May, would niacin still be an issue? Would it cause her to not be interested in food? Her eyes look good, or neck is good. Just not interested in food, a little weak, and very wobbly on her feet. Should I flood her system with everything, or try one thing first? Nutritional yest, dewormers, antibiotics? Vet is not an option. I must add that she is nibbling at grain and grass a little but will not eat it.
If you can get some antibiotics that may help the gosling’s system, but if not, give some niacin and monitor it. You might want to try a dewormer too but I really don’t think that would be affecting your gosling like that if it had worms. Maybe some sort of infection, so give antibiotics. Keep us informed! I’m sure she will be better soon!

Thank-you. I have been giving her niacin and extra vitamins. She is not worse today, but I wouldn't say she is any better. If so, not much at all.

She is not doing any better unfortunately :( . However, she does not seem any worse. Surprisingly, because she is not consuming much as far as I know. I would have thought that she would be looking at least a little better if it is a niacin or vitamin issue. Her companion is still as healthy as ever, and I have ascertained he is most certainly a gander!! Lol. I just don't understand, as I feel that if it was contagious, he would have gotten it by now. All I can think of doing is giving her some de-wormer and antibiotics. What does anyone else think?

Does her crop feel full, swollen, hard, or gooey? An impaction or sour crop might make her now want to eat.

You could try giving her b vitamin complex, nianic is a b vitamin but they also require the other and a few doses of that may reverse any deficiency she could have, at the least it may give her body a boost.

She could have a blockage within her digestive tract, if that’s the case liquids and heavily watery foods are the only thing that can really help her.

What feed are they eating and is there any metal bits or paint they can get into?

Back
Top Bottom