Emergency with hen. Need help now!

If you want to do something like that, instead of bleach, I would consider Oxine. You can order a gallon of it from Amazon and many online vet supply stores for a reasonable price. It lasts forever.

You can use it in a fogger, clean your coop with it, and put it in your animals' water to flush their system.

Just make sure it's the inactive kind. :)

MUCH safer than bleach!

MrsB

If you want to do something like that, instead of bleach, I would consider Oxine. You can order a gallon of it from Amazon and many online vet supply stores for a reasonable price. It lasts forever.

You can use it in a fogger, clean your coop with it, and put it in your animals' water to flush their system.

Just make sure it's the inactive kind. :)

MUCH safer than bleach!

MrsB

I will definitely try that!

They called with some of the results from her necropsy. Her intestines were clear of any type of parasites or worms. Lungs looked okay. Her swollen eye was completely filled with blood on the inside and behind it. They said the eye looked like it had sustained an injury but that wouldn't explain why she was also blind in her other eye. They also found that she had some type of bacterial infection where her eggs are produced and it caused her to not be forming any eggs. Also strange since she was laying fine up until Sunday when her eye swelled up. They are doing lots more tests for MG and other illnesses so hopefully we can figure out how to prevent the other birds from getting this or know how to help it before it gets too bad. So far everyone seems fine so fingers crossed that this was something bizarre that can not be spread.

Just got some more lab results. Anyone know what any of this means?

The first thing that stands out is the "(Egg) Yolk peritonitis." This means she's got an internal E. coli infection. As Eggcessive said, that eye infection she's got can be caused by E. coli, so I'm wondering if she stepped in infected poop and then scratched her eye, which caused the secondary infection.

There is no treatment for EYP other than making her comfortable or getting powerful antibiotics from the vet, which will render her "useless" for eggs and meat. If you consider her a pet, do what you feel is necessary by all means, but you should never eat her eggs again during or after treatment.

Very sorry for your troubles. :(

MrsB

The first thing that stands out is the "(Egg) Yolk peritonitis." This means she's got an internal E. coli infection. As Eggcessive said, that eye infection she's got can be caused by E. coli, so I'm wondering if she stepped in infected poop and then scratched her eye, which caused the secondary infection.

There is no treatment for EYP other than making her comfortable or getting powerful antibiotics from the vet, which will render her "useless" for eggs and meat. If you consider her a pet, do what you feel is necessary by all means, but you should never eat her eggs again during or after treatment.

Very sorry for your troubles. :(

MrsB

She was actually put to sleep a few days ago. These tests were from her necropsy. We threw out all the eggs we had in the refrigerator in case they were hers. However they think she wasn't producing eggs for a while. Is EYP something contagious? Should I hold off on eating any of the eggs from other birds? The birds are primarily pets, the eggs are just a bonus!

I am so sorry to hear that. :(

EYP can spread, yes. Make sure your disinfect the waterers and feeders with bleach or Oxine, and keep an eye on your girls for any odd symptoms.

I would Google "egg yolk peritonitis" and read everything you can.

MrsB

Back
Top Bottom