Emergency

Abubakarsaeed

Hatching
Dec 12, 2020
Dear All
One my hen is unconscious and she moves her head backwards and cannot even sit.I have kept her in a heated room she moves her feathers after a few while...kindly help

IMG_20201212_234043.jpg

Here are some questions people will ask, to better understand what might be going on.

How old is she? What are you feeding her, including any treats? Did she possibly get into anything spoiled or moldy or poisonous? Has she been treated with any medication recently? Did you notice anything strange recently? Have you checked for mites/lice/worms? Has she pooped recently? Can you get a picture of her poop? How does her crop feel?

Tagging people who know more than I.

@Wyorp Rock @Eggcessive @azygous

I'm sorry, but you can't treat an unconscious chicken. When the chicken is lying on its side, unresponsive, it is a matter of a very short while and it will die.

When that happens, it will appear the chicken is reviving, it will become upright and flap wildly. At that point, death has already occurred and what you see is not a seizure, but death throes where the nervous system is shutting down.

Every death of a chicken can have serious implications for the rest of the flock. It would be wise to call your local university extension office and ask about labs that do necropsies for chickens to determine cause of death to be sure this isn't something that will continue to sicken and kill your other chickens.

I'm sorry I can't be of any help.
I'll do what I can to figure out what it is.
How old was your hen? Was she laying? Did she act different?
Looking at the picture I want to say wry neck, I had a few chicks die from that.

Dear All
One my hen is unconscious and she moves her head backwards and cannot even sit.I have kept her in a heated room she moves her feathers after a few while...kindly help
Sorry about your chicken, but I am afraid that she is very ill and may die soon. Are you in an area where Newcastles disease is common? A twisted neck can be seen in wry neck from injury, vitamin E deficiency, Mareks disease and others such as Newcastles.

Last edited:
If this is wry neck, this chicken may be close to death from starvation. Some wry neck victims are unable to get into a position where they can eat, so they eventually become weak and unable to find food.

From the photo, it appears the chicken is close to death, but it's just one angle. Perhaps there's more life in the chicken than the photo allows us to see. If that's the case, and this chicken is still moving around and is alert, you can give her vitamin E oil every day and help her to eat some cooked egg. She may have enough life in her to respond to this. If so, the change can happen very quickly, and she could be back to normal in a few short days.

Back
Top Bottom