EMERGENCY!!!

sarahsecretgarden

Hatching
11 Years
Apr 7, 2008
IM LOOSING DAILY MY BATTLE WITH MY AMERICANAS AND ORPINGTONS. THEY ARE DYING ONE BY ONE. I AM VERY NEW TO THIS AND NEED ALL THE HELP I CAN GET, MY FEED STORE IS OF NO USE. THERE SYMPTOMS COME ON SUDDENLY, RUNNY STOOL(BROWN) AND NO ENERGY, DIE VERY SOON AFTER. I STARTED THE THREE I HAVE LEFT ON A LIQUID VITAMIN , PLEASE IF ANYONE KNOWS WHAT IM DOING WRONG PLEASE LET ME KNOW!!!!

I would get some Duramycin soluble powder and mix it in their water. I'd also start them on plenty of yogurt. Good luck.

Last edited:
Are these adults or chicks? Also, have you had them diagnosed, if so, what is it they have? Apparently it is something very contagious, so if you have any chickens that ARE NOT affected at all by it, you should separate them immediately. If you havent' found out what they have, Iwould get to a University or the CDC and let them check one of them. Then let us all know! We will do everything we possibly can :|

Moving this to the emergencies section. Before they die, do they get very thin? If so I suspect cocci or internal paracites. If you can get a fecal test done, that would be great.

If they are still young and in a brooder, tell us more about how they are living. Tell us the type of shavings, the age of the birds, what temperature you are keeping them at, and what you are feeding them.

They should be on pine, NOT cedar, kept at 95 or so F to start, and be on a complete chick starter with no treats yet.

Best of luck

MY CHICKS ARE GOING ON TWO WEEKS OLD AND STILL IN BROODER UNDER HEAT LAMP WITH STRAW. IVE GOT THEM EATING WHAT THE FEED STORE SOLD ME (CHICK STARTER) AND YESTERDAY STARTED ADDING VITAMINS TO WATER . I WILL GIVE THEM YOGURT TONIGHT I DIDNT KNOW IT WAS GOOD FOR THEM! ANYTHING ELSE I CAN DO PLEASE LET ME KNOW

Make sure the yogurt is plain (no sugar or sweetener) and live culture (it will say acidophilus, or something like that, in the ingredients.)

If they don't like it plain, mix it with some chick food and warm it a little, like hot cereal: its a mash.

Can you take a stool sample to a vet first thing tomorrow?

Are they at about 90 degrees under the light?

By any chance is the straw moldy?

Good luck!

Last edited:
Your county should have an agricultural extension agent who might help you by phone.

If that fails, this sounds urgent enough that you might want to call the vet.

PS: I wouldn't give any antibiotics until you know what is happening. They're only meant for bacterial illnesses - and even then, not all antibiotics are effective for all bacteria. Play it safe - find out what it is before medicating.

Last edited:
At that age internal parasties (cocci is a protozoa so could loosely be considered a "parastie" though normally it refers specifically to worms > at this age worms are not a problem especially if you have them in brooder ) Cocci on the other hand hits hard and can kill fast

Quote:
Check to see if that starter is MEDICATED (this will be for cocci) ...if not then start on a cocci med (ask at feed store) immediately.

Back
Top Bottom