EMERGENCY!

Fleecy718

In the Brooder
7 Years
Sep 24, 2012
Chesapeake, Virginia
My duck can't stretch her neck all the way. She was fine yesterday. What's wrong?? Does she need a vet?? I'm so concerned!!
[/IMG]

Last edited:
She can't or she won't? Can you feel anything in her neck?
Has she been able to eat and drink and groom herself?
Sometimes my ducks will go most of the day with their necks tucked in.

Not sure about neck someone will be along hopefully with experience. Just make sure she's drinking water and if so is she eating?

Hi,

I haven't seen this before, but maybe we can figure out what's best. If you have a vet you can get her to, that would be my thought for one of my runners.

Couple of ideas:

Might something be stuck in her throat?
Did her neck get injured?

In either case, my usual catch-all first step is a lukewarm bath deep enough to float in. You can watch her closely, and see what her range of motion is, if her breathing is different, if her voice is different, any signs of puncture on her neck, etc.

Does she seem to be in distress? having difficulty breathing eating drinking? I'm in agreement if you feel something is going on that may cause her life to be in jeopardy then a vet if you have one is the best. I see you have had her in the sink, how'd she act. was she able to do her neck like they like to do when bathing? you might want to apply a small towel of warm Epsom salt compress around her neck after you have felt every inch of it to make sure she hasn't swallowed something that is stuck. could she have gotten her neck stuck in something and maybe injured it when pulling it out?

Also, her breast pouch (that's what I call it) for food, is sagging way to the left. What you're seeing in that picture is her spine in the front of her neck.

Can you pet the pouch, does it feel . . . I don't know . . . different? Can you feel something hard in it?

Can you keep her inside and relatively warm tonight?

Back
Top Bottom