Emergncy! :: Hen Flaky Crusty White Comb, Scabs on face.

chickenherd

In the Brooder
Oct 26, 2018
Hello All - Please see these pictures. We inherited a few hens from previous property owner and she's been fine, but has started to develop a white, flaky and crusty comb. There are scab-like areas that have begun to form around her eyes and now she is showing signs of discomfort. She has trying to rub her head against her back to give her eyelid some relief. Her eyes seem to be a bit watery as well due to irritation.

I've read about every thread here and am really looking for some advice.

Thank you in advance

20181026_113531.jpg
20181026_113522.jpg

Hello All - Please see these pictures. We inherited a few hens from previous property owner and she's been fine, but has started to develop a white, flaky and crusty comb. There are scab-like areas that have begun to form around her eyes and now she is showing signs of discomfort. She has trying to rub her head against her back to give her eyelid some relief. Her eyes seem to be a bit watery as well due to irritation.

I've read about every thread here and am really looking for some advice.

Thank you in advance

View attachment 1571763 View attachment 1571764
Could it be Fow Pox? You definitely need to keep it quarantined from the other birds immediately.

I thought it might be fowl pox but from what I have read it is contracted by mosquitos and we haven't seen any at all. Am I correct that there is no treatment?

Is there any way to be sure it's fowl pox? Is there anything I can do to help her :(

I thought it might be fowl pox but from what I have read it is contracted by mosquitos and we haven't seen any at all. Am I correct that there is no treatment?

Is there any way to be sure it's fowl pox? Is there anything I can do to help her :(
There is no cure, but there is treatment. Your vet can make a diagnosis (we paid $35 for the visit). He can prescribe antibiotics to put in the water to prevent secondary infection, which is what they usually die from. You can use optical antibiotic salve (over the counter at the feed store) to prevent eye infection. And you can use iodine antiseptic on the sores (which I don't recommend) because I found that it only helped to spread the disease.

Mine was a baby Turkey and so the disease was especially hard on her, but adult chickens seem to have better odds of surviving. There are however two types of Fowl Pox. Wet, and Dry. The dry pox (exterior lesions) is survivable. Wet pox (internal lesions), is not survivable. They don't have to have one to have the other, but can develop one and then the other.

If it is that, you MUST keep it separated from the other birds. We kept ours in the house inside of a dog crate. Be careful not to cross contaminate the healthy birds. Wear disposable gloves whenever handling the bird, it's feed (which should be kept separate), and it's bedding. Anything including the bedding should be disposed of in plastic bags, and immediately taken to the trash bin. The soil, and bedding materials can remain infectious to other birds for months. Research "hot debris".

Sorry to go on and on, this is all still very fresh and upsetting to me. Probably the most horrible thing I've ever witnessed.

I read a lot about Favus/Miconazole last night/today. Last night all I could get from the store was Lomitrin spray (miconazole.) I did get gloves. I tried to apply the spray on a Q-tip and put in on her comb, however I feel I just couldn't get enough on. I am hoping to find an over-the-counter Miconazole ointment/cream today, but am having a hard time finding an actual cream/ointment. Do you guys have any suggestions for an actual ointment or cream that I can find at a CVS/Walgreens type place? The spray just isn't cutting it.

Also can i apply it near her eyes where the scab-like things are forming?

Back
Top Bottom