Emma's not mad at me anymore!

tunaoftheland

Songster
11 Years
Jun 3, 2008
Okay, background: When I put my chicks out in their coop a few weeks ago, they did not appreciate the move. I ended up putting their entire brooder inside the coop so they could still be more secure and hopefully calm down. One of the girls, Emma, who has always been clingy rather than affectionate, did NOT want to go into the coop under ANY circumstances. She kept flying up to my shoulder or head and crying. I was tired and frustrated and didn't know about this lovely site yet, so I just stuffed her in finally and shut the door. I felt terrible afterwards, opened the door back up and there she was just sitting right where I had stuffed her. So I put her in the brooder with the others. Well, after a day or two they were all fine in the coop and I took the brooder out. Emma however did not get over this betrayal.

Fast forward to yesterday. I've only picked Emma up occasionally since then because she squawks and runs away from me and I didn't want to upset her further. But yesterday when I was holding Polly (the top bird) Emma came over and peeped at me. Yes, she still peeps. Thirteen weeks old today. The others all cluck, but Emma peeps. I didn't want to startle her, so I didn't try and pick her up or anything, just talked to her. Lucy wanted on my lap then so Emma went off but stayed near by. I was sure it was a breakthrough. SO, this morning I went out, and instead of hanging at the back like usual, Emma was right with everyone else, crowded around to say good morning! I decided to risk my luck and picked her up. She didn't protest at all! I only held her for fifteen or twenty seconds, didn't want to push it, but she didn't mind! I'm so excited, I just had to share
wee.gif

My BR hated me from the day I got her six weeks ago. Then, one morning last week she ran up to me and wanted me to pet her. You have to wonder what happens in their tiny little heads.
hmm.png

I'm glad Emma isn't mad anymore.
yippiechickie.gif

I am learning that chickens really do have personality, wants and needs...My 3 1/2m.o. BTB Dutch cockerel got mad at me when I added 8 6wk chicks to the coop and wouldn't come up to me for about a week...Now he's back to normal, begging and following me around.

It is amazing isn't it how much personality they do have. I wasn't sure I was going to name them when I was first thinking of getting them, but then how could I not? They are such individuals and I love them all. I've had cats mad at me before but this was my first time with a chicken. Maybe Emma will start clucking soon, now that she is getting over her upset-ness.

Someday there will be a chicken whisperer like the dog and horse varieties. Then we will know exactly what is going on in their heads. Hmm. I wonder if that will be a good thing?

Yes, it is surprising how much personality they really do have. I was not expecting that at all.

My chickens are a little mad at me at the moment because I had to pick a few up and examine them this morning. They were'nt quite ready for that since they are still getting used to me (and me them). They are very curious and follow my every movement when I'm near them. After this morning's activities they avoided/ignored me for a couple of hours. They are getting over it though. Funny.

Back
Top Bottom