Emotions Tied to Culling

Here I am.. one of those who have the absolute hardest time just considering it.
I envy yall that can humanely cull and handle it well.
As I get older, I have noticed myself becoming more emotional and SOFT. Seriously, 20 years ago, I would have, and did, humanely cull. At 52, I seem to have a "bleeding heart".
Now, I havent completely lost my ability and logic. I would absolutely do what was necessary if/when faced with a situation where any of my pets were suffering.
In my opinion, allowing unnecessary suffering is heartless.
....coming from the bleeding heart....
I dont judge people for their ability to cull or not cull. It is all in the individual mindset. Its healthy, as others agreed, for us all to have different feelings, or lack of feelings. Me, I lack empathy for more humans than animals. Everyday, I find another reason to stay TF away from society. ...and, NO, I dont have a disorder or psychological problem. I feel nothing to "cull" people out of my life..
(discard, remove, block, whatever I have to do, to stay happy).
My problem *only with MYSELF* is I think too much about what my particular chick/en has going on.
..ie, my crossbeak..
He has no idea he is different.
He is still young. He adapted to his useless lower mandible before I noticed it.
As soon as I noticed it, to the vet we went.
Our vet knows how able, stubborn, determined and devoted I am, gave me his advice and let me know his whole team would be supportive of any decision I had to make in the future...
So far, Picasso has not skipped a beat, a meal, a snack or a bath, LoL.
If Picasso ever loses his thrive or his spunk, and i see a turn in the other direction, my love for this chick would never overpower my logic.
If he were suffering, no greater act of respect and love could be, other than to humanely and compassionately cease it.
I am soft, not dumb 😁.
I have the time and means to allow this little guy to live his best life, as long as its a happy and healthy life.
Many times, someone could have culled me....

Last edited:
To me it's just another skill set and understanding the reasons and why it's done.

First time people killing there chickens will always come with an assortment of emotions but eventually you come to understand it's part of chicken keeping.
I would never have seen it as a useful skillset previous to opening this thread, after the large amount of people saying it is a desirable skill and not a negative one. Definitely an eye opener.

It's just part of the deal if you seek a self-sufficient, homestead, farm, animal husbandry, back-to-nature sort of life. This is not to say that backyard chickens will make you any of those things.
I think it is and it isn't, the only two homesteaders I know both take their animals to professionals to dispatch them and do not take part in any of it themselves. They have said it saves heartbreak and money (not convinced it saves money but I don't have their experience).

I admire you for being able to do this when you were raised otherwise. I was raised around game meat and butchering. When I was ten my dad showed me how it was done. He didn't make it scary or gross. The chickens were ones I had raised from chicks. It was simply how things are and where our meat came from. My dad trapped as a kid and hunts. As an adult me and my hubby are doing it together. I think it is a valuable skill to learn. I on some level think everyone should realize and see where there meat comes from. Then the next time they scrape a good piece of meat into the garbage they will think. That animal gave its life for you to eat. Have some respect. You can respect this animal and humanely dispatch it and be grateful. I do fall into your category. Seeing the butchering process etc doesn't tear me up but I was exposed to it as a child. There is nothing wrong with your feelings.

Here I am.. one of those who have the absolute hardest time just considering it.
I envy yall that can humanely cull and handle it well.
As I get older, I have noticed myself becoming more emotional and SOFT. Seriously, 20 years ago, I would have, and did, humanely cull. At 52, I seem to have a "bleeding heart".
Now, I havent completely lost my ability and logic. I would absolutely do what was necessary if/when faced with a situation where any of my pets was suffering.
In my opinion, allowing unnecessary suffering is heartless.
....coming from the bleeding heart....
My problem *only with MYSELF* is I think too much about what my particular chick/en has going on.
..ie, my crossbeak..
He has no idea he is different.
He is still young. He adapted to his useless lower mandible before I noticed it.
As soon as I noticed it, to the vet we went.
Our vet knows how able, stubborn, determined and devoted I am, gave me his advice and let me know his whole team would be supportive of any decision I had to make in the future...
So far, Picasso has not skipped a beat, a meal, a snack or a bath, LoL.
If Picasso ever loses his thrive or his spunk, and i see a turn in the other direction, my love for this chick would never overpower my logic.
If he were suffering, no greater act of respect and love could be, other than to humanely and compassionately cease it.
I am soft, not dumb 😁.
I have the time and means to allow this little guy to live his best life, as long as its a happy and healthy life.
Many times, someone could have culled me....
My missus is quite the overthinker and looks on it as a negative trait but to be honest I think it's a fairly useful in many ways, can help you prepare for any eventuality.

I admire that you're very self aware and ready to do what must be done when you feel it needs to take place and I'm sure no one would call you dumb for trying to help a chick thrive. I think that's very admirable, especially if you do have the time and the means and clearly you know when and where what is needed.

I don't mean all chicks must die if they have a disability, I kept one alive for years, but I knew how to make her comfortable, who her friends were and what she liked and she weighed in very similarly to her friends. I do see a lot of posts were I don't think people realise how much work will be needed to ensure their chick will thrive. It's hard and it's even harder to know when to stop if it's not working. Thank you for sharing.

some people have different brain wiring that can make it harder for them to feel empathy, or sadness towards things like this, along with forming bonds with animals (and often, people). it's good to be aware of, that you notice it.
I'm not sure I would say I am wired different, I look at things slightly differently in that I generally think with my head over my heart and choose the logical explanation or reason, but I do see what you're getting at and of course some people are. Not sure I struggle to bond with animals nor humans, have two children and a missus and we're very happy and I find it easy enough to make friends. I don't think my lack of bonding with the animals is due to anything more than I know ultimately they will end up in my freezer. That's just me though 🤪

I admire you for being able to do this when you were raised otherwise. I was raised around game meat and butchering. When I was ten my dad showed me how it was done. He didn't make it scary or gross. The chickens were ones I had raised from chicks. It was simply how things are and where our meat came from. My dad trapped as a kid and hunts. As an adult me and my hubby are doing it together. I think it is a valuable skill to learn. I on some level think everyone should realize and see where there meat comes from. Then the next time they scrape a good piece of meat into the garbage they will think. That animal gave its life for you to eat. Have some respect. You can respect this animal and humanely dispatch it and be grateful. I do fall into your category. Seeing the butchering process etc doesn't tear me up but I was exposed to it as a child. There is nothing wrong with your feelings.
I think that's so cool, I definitely hope one day I can show my son the process and why I think it's important (same as why you do). I agree, I think it's such a great thing to be able to raise you own food in fact even growing your own food in itself is pretty cool.

I'm so glad so many others feel the same way as I do, such a relief. Could I ask you how your father showed you the process in a way in which it has affected you so positively? I'd be very worried to show my son due to fear of showing him in a way which sends him the opposite way. Thank you so much.

Back
Top Bottom