Emotions Tied to Culling

I think that's so cool, I definitely hope one day I can show my son the process and why I think it's important (same as why you do). I agree, I think it's such a great thing to be able to raise you own food in fact even growing your own food in itself is pretty cool.

I'm so glad so many others feel the same way as I do, such a relief. Could I ask you how your father showed you the process in a way in which it has affected you so positively? I'd be very worried to show my son due to fear of showing him in a way which sends him the opposite way. Thank you so much.
Well, I won't lie. My dad did chop its head off. One quick chop. And it sorta ran around. He also skinned it instead of plucking. I had to learn to pluck as an adult. But when he started 'dismantling' the chicken, he showed me all the different parts on the chicken and what they were called. Now keep in mind, I was used to seeing my dad do squirrels and he did deer too. I was a tomboy growing up. I was ten at the time. Also my grandpa is an avid hunter with deer heads on his wall. Has he been exposed to any type of butchering? You could have a light conversation and sorta gage his reaction.

Here I am.. one of those who have the absolute hardest time just considering it.
I envy yall that can humanely cull and handle it well.
As I get older, I have noticed myself becoming more emotional and SOFT. Seriously, 20 years ago, I would have, and did, humanely cull. At 52, I seem to have a "bleeding heart".
Now, I havent completely lost my ability and logic. I would absolutely do what was necessary if/when faced with a situation where any of my pets were suffering.
In my opinion, allowing unnecessary suffering is heartless.
....coming from the bleeding heart....
I dont judge people for their ability to cull or not cull. It is all in the individual mindset. Its healthy, as others agreed, for us all to have different feelings, or lack of feelings. Me, I lack empathy for more humans than animals. Everyday, I find another reason to stay TF away from society. ...and, NO, I dont have a disorder or psychological problem. I feel nothing to "cull" people out of my life..
(discard, remove, block, whatever I have to do, to stay happy).
My problem *only with MYSELF* is I think too much about what my particular chick/en has going on.
..ie, my crossbeak..
He has no idea he is different.
He is still young. He adapted to his useless lower mandible before I noticed it.
As soon as I noticed it, to the vet we went.
Our vet knows how able, stubborn, determined and devoted I am, gave me his advice and let me know his whole team would be supportive of any decision I had to make in the future...
So far, Picasso has not skipped a beat, a meal, a snack or a bath, LoL.
If Picasso ever loses his thrive or his spunk, and i see a turn in the other direction, my love for this chick would never overpower my logic.
If he were suffering, no greater act of respect and love could be, other than to humanely and compassionately cease it.
I am soft, not dumb 😁.
I have the time and means to allow this little guy to live his best life, as long as its a happy and healthy life.
Many times, someone could have culled me....

Thanks for your reply.
I have never had a situation where i needed to think about my time and effort for a severely disabled CHICK....
I had no clue what i was going to do, LOL, didnt care, just did it.
I am happy with my decision so far. Picasso seems to be extremely happy and adjusted to his different feeding routine, from the others.
He looks for me for his food and hygene only.
When he is through eating what i fixed in the a.m. he is done with me too..
Right back to his flock he goes.
I do see him acting like he wants me to give HIS special food, mush, soup, etc... to his siblings.
I do, and i really feel like he wanted to share what he didn't eat. Its weird..

I think it is and it isn't, the only two homesteaders I know both take their animals to professionals to dispatch them and do not take part in any of it themselves. They have said it saves heartbreak and money (not convinced it saves money but I don't have their experience).
This (which is another debate for better or worse) is exactly the issue why you're feeling the way you do. Society has divorced itself from animal husbandry, but I won't go down the rabbit hole on that, I'll just say you have my support and are doing it for the right reasons it sounds like.

This (which is another debate for better or worse) is exactly the issue why you're feeling the way you do. Society has divorced itself from animal husbandry, but I won't go down the rabbit hole on that, I'll just say you have my support and are doing it for the right reasons it sounds like.
Feel free to delve deeper Alice :oops:

Feel free to delve deeper Alice :oops:
Yeah I had tried and clarify my reply, after I looked at my first response. I thought you might take that as directed toward you, but I was pointing at society as a whole. And your family from their divorced state of things (frozen pizza eaters) prompting you to question your values. Which I think is ass backwards, but again rabbit hole....

Yeah I had tried and clarify my reply, after I looked at my first response. I thought you might take that as directed toward you, but I was pointing at society as a whole. And your family from their divorced state of things (frozen pizza eaters) prompting you to question your values. Which I think is ass backwards, but again rabbit hole....
Even if I did take it like that, it wouldn't offend me, it still carries the conversation on. I mean you couldn't be more right. Why should I, or anyone else for that matter, take criticism from people who probably don't even know the full contents to their frozen chicken nuggets.

How is me eating my freshly killed quail somehow perceived to be worse than a supermarket chicken? At least I know my food had a good life..

I think part of it is that the first few culls are more awkward, you’re less confident, don’t have a good technique yet. I know that worried me a lot and still sorta does in that I don’t want to cause them suffering. I have done my fair share of crying over culling, the first chick I had to do was really upsetting. But now it’s more matter of fact. I’m more confident and I’m not as attached to them bc there are just so many of them now. Lol They don’t all have names anymore.

As long as you’re not so detached that you’re getting sloppy, lacking in respect for the animal during slaughter, or taking a morbid joy in the killing part, I think there’s nothing unhealthy or abnormal with what you describe.

Well, I won't lie. My dad did chop its head off. One quick chop. And it sorta ran around. He also skinned it instead of plucking. I had to learn to pluck as an adult. But when he started 'dismantling' the chicken, he showed me all the different parts on the chicken and what they were called. Now keep in mind, I was used to seeing my dad do squirrels and he did deer too. I was a tomboy growing up. I was ten at the time. Also my grandpa is an avid hunter with deer heads on his wall. Has he been exposed to any type of butchering? You could have a light conversation and sorta gage his reaction.
Turning it into an anatomy lesson is a great idea. Once the head and/or feathers are off, it’s easier to mentally separate the live bird running around from the food that will go on the table. I thought it was so interesting when I first got up in there, trying to figure out what’s what. I thought the warmth of the freshly dead bird would freak me out but it didn’t. Anyway, making it educational allows some of the emotions to fade away. My kids prefer not to really watch still, although they thought the one rabbit I did was cool and they did watch that. That was not our own animal but one we got from a neighbor to try out and see if the process was something I wanted to do more of, so they were not attached to that animal in any way. Might be the difference.

Back
Top Bottom