Empordanesa & Penedesenca - Who has them?

bottom to top crele penedesenca x silver ameraucana oe empordanesa black penedesenca crele penedesenca . I get much darker too they just started to lay again a few weeks ago and are just ramping up. Nice big eggs

Last edited:
bottom to top crele penedesenca x silver ameraucana oe empordanesa black penedesenca crele penedesenca . I get much darker too they just started to lay again a few weeks ago and are just ramping up. Nice big eggs

Gorgeous! Some of the eggs are to die for! You are so lucky. In your pic I'm not exactly sure which breed layed your darkest chocolate egg. Can you please specify again which breed layed the chocolate? Thanks I appreciate it - Smiles :)

With us & our friends, none of us ever got a really dark egg layer. You'd think out of 4 dark layers ONE of us would've got a chocolate color! Noticed your pics are not all consistently chocolate either. To get one excellent chocolate layer you have to have a lot of pullets to pick from & we zoned back yarders don't have the luxury to coop more than 3-5 layers.

Hatching the darkest eggs is a good start but not a guarantee that we'll get a chocolate-laying pullet as we've discovered thru the home school project. The hatched chicks probably carry the dark egg ability but not a guarantee the pullets from the hatch will lay chocolate. Out of 3 projects, only one pullet had what could be called a dark egg but not really chocolate. It was so disappointing that one projecteer turned her semi-dark breeds loose in a breeding pen to make olive eggers. They were good for nothing more than table meat or breeding OE chicks. Marans are especially lazy foragers, greedy eaters, aren't prolific, & don't lay dark enough eggs to pay their way in sales - not to mention they are not particularly nice to gentle flockmates.

I chuckled about your chickens not liking human contact. Our girls happen to be very friendly, even the Meds were, but should we change our appearance by wearing sunglasses, different shoes, different hat, they run from us. I have a pair of Leopard shoes & neckscarf that took them 2 weeks to get used to! If we carry something large in our hands they'll run from us too. Now they know us full well & eat treats from our hands but a different apparel will send them scurrying til we coax them back w/ assurances that it's still US - LOL.

Thank you sir
I am just learning
I just have mixed back yard biddies I sure do love them. Most are culls but beautiful culls I have over 40 I sell eggs at our farmers market in town
I just thought I would like to see some color in my eggs basket so my friends would look to see if they got a colored egg in there dozen.
We don't see pure breed chickens here I have in pictures
I am tickled to find this sight
Good luck with your biddies. Pat.
[email protected]

[quote name="bigshawn" url="/t/212387/empordanesa-penedesenca-who

Hello I am a homestead lady
I sure would like to add a few of yours to my biddies
I dont show their have culls beautiful culls
At 65 I find I can sit and watch them all day some times I do Lol
Could I buy 4/6 eggs from you
Thank you for your time. [email protected]

Hello thank you
I don't think this is a way of life chickens have taken over my life. Lol
I will be waiting to hear from you
Take your time

Welcome to BYC noticed you joined this month! Chickens do have a way of taking over our lives! We're crazy chicken people who name our hens! Probably because as pets they give wonderful fertilizer for the garden, constantly forage for insects, and still reward us w/ eggs and all just for chicken feed LOL Even my friend who uses her hens for utility egg sales has a warm fuzzy for her girls. She has multiple colors in her egg cartons because it's what people want - white, cream/tinted/pink, brown, blue, mint, olive, chocolate, speckled.

Gorgeous! Some of the eggs are to die for! You are so lucky. In your pic I'm not exactly sure which breed layed your darkest chocolate egg. Can you please specify again which breed layed the chocolate? Thanks I appreciate it - Smiles :)

With us & our friends, none of us ever got a really dark egg layer. You'd think out of 4 dark layers ONE of us would've got a chocolate color! Noticed your pics are not all consistently chocolate either. To get one excellent chocolate layer you have to have a lot of pullets to pick from & we zoned back yarders don't have the luxury to coop more than 3-5 layers.

Hatching the darkest eggs is a good start but not a guarantee that we'll get a chocolate-laying pullet as we've discovered thru the home school project. The hatched chicks probably carry the dark egg ability but not a guarantee the pullets from the hatch will lay chocolate. Out of 3 projects, only one pullet had what could be called a dark egg but not really chocolate. It was so disappointing that one projecteer turned her semi-dark breeds loose in a breeding pen to make olive eggers. They were good for nothing more than table meat or breeding OE chicks. Marans are especially lazy foragers, greedy eaters, aren't prolific, & don't lay dark enough eggs to pay their way in sales - not to mention they are not particularly nice to gentle flockmates.

I chuckled about your chickens not liking human contact. Our girls happen to be very friendly, even the Meds were, but should we change our appearance by wearing sunglasses, different shoes, different hat, they run from us. I have a pair of Leopard shoes & neckscarf that took them 2 weeks to get used to! If we carry something large in our hands they'll run from us too. Now they know us full well & eat treats from our hands but a different apparel will send them scurrying til we coax them back w/ assurances that it's still US - LOL.
the darkest where the Empordanesa. they can all lay dark eggs and do vary somewhat. Every one of my hens can lay dark eggs or medium. they are just starting to lay again and usually darken up .
even the darkest Marans will vary through the season.
here are some eggs I got last year from a friend. they where from Crele Penedesenca. he says his generally lay dark eggs.
none hatched for me though.
Jason

and below where some of mine last fall

the darkest where the Empordanesa. they can all lay dark eggs and do vary somewhat. Every one of my hens can lay dark eggs or medium. they are just starting to lay again and usually darken up .
even the darkest Marans will vary through the season.
here are some eggs I got last year from a friend. they where from Crele Penedesenca. he says his generally lay dark eggs.
none hatched for me though.
Jason

and below where some of mine last fall

If your camera shading can be trusted the Crele Pene eggs are beautiful chocolate! It's a shame they didn't hatch. My friend had a dozen eggs and only 1 hatched in the 'bator. So frustrating. MyPetChicken had a photo of very dark Empordanesa hatching eggs for sale but I don't trust photos. My camera slightly deepens shades in the final shots & I've never seen a good camera yet. One of the reasons I don't usually post pics.

As for color variances even our 1 APA Blue Wheaten Ameraucana lays different shades of blue - one egg is light blue, next egg can be slightly deeper, then a lighter one again - varies. Whereas w/ chocolate layers it seems they just get progressively lighter as laying season continues. Sometimes if 2-3 days go by without an egg the next one layed will be darker or drizzled w/ a lot of dark spotting. Poor girls do their best, but we haven't been one of the lucky owners.

Back
Top Bottom