Empordanesa & Penedesenca - Who has them?

I have a friend that is considering using one of our Buff Minorcas on his Penedesenca to develop a blond Penedesenca. Here is a comparison I created with Print Shop and random photos on the web. Any thoughts?

You will loose egg color but gain size in Spain there is a blonde Empordanesa

Good point about losing egg color but we don't have Spain's blonde Empordanesas in the U.S. Importation being as expensive as it is why not have a blonde project here? If the eggs suffer significantly by the Minorca crossing it was at least worth the attempt?

Good point about losing egg color but we don't have Spain's blonde Empordanesas in the U.S. Importation being as expensive as it is why not have a blonde project here? If the eggs suffer significantly by the Minorca crossing it was at least worth the attempt?
they brought over the White Empordanesa because all the genes where there for the other varieties. Id try and work with the Empordanesa x penedesenca first if possible. But there is nothing wrong with a project

they brought over the White Empordanesa because all the genes where there for the other varieties. Id try and work with the Empordanesa x penedesenca first if possible. But there is nothing wrong with a project

You mean all the color varieties of Empordanesa/Penedesenca are all carried by the White Empordanesa? So the White throws other colors and the white isn't dominant when crossed with the Penes?

You've done your homework!

white is recessive on the Empordanesa. The key is finding the combo. There are differences between the two breeds though as Empordanesa should be slightly larger than the penedesenca except Black as the Black is a dual purpose bird, Empordanesa have less white on there earlobes as well. no more than 30% is called for on the standard where penedesenca should have more than 30%

Hi Jason, Remember my one white Partridge Penedesenca roo that you thought was probably a PP/E cross? It sounds like I should put him in with some of my true "PP" hens to see what I get, rather than getting some Empordanesa eggs or chicks for him. That would be a fun fun fun project. I have three older hens that lay well and have darker eggs, though they could possibly be a bit darker. I could let him have two of them this winter.

What would one look for to use for a second cross? Offspring back to him again, or, a pairing of one from each hen?

Wow... I was disappointed in getting him instead of a "PP" but now I am really excited.

Thanks for the idea, Bonnie

Here are a couple photos of the white Pen cross rooster. They are 16 weeks old now. How time has flown. With the white earlobes and grey legs, he appears to be a Penedesenca cross. He has yet to grow much of a tail. Feel free to critique as you will not hurt my feelings. I'm probably more critical of what I have than anyone else is, and, that is how we learn. To the left is one of the young Partridge Pens, and in the background is one of the 2 year old P. Pen hens. Thanks... Bonnie

Here are a couple photos of the white Pen cross rooster. They are 16 weeks old now. How time has flown. With the white earlobes and grey legs, he appears to be a Penedesenca cross. He has yet to grow much of a tail. Feel free to critique as you will not hurt my feelings. I'm probably more critical of what I have than anyone else is, and, that is how we learn. To the left is one of the young Partridge Pens, and in the background is one of the 2 year old P. Pen hens. Thanks... Bonnie

Id put him with a few Empordanesa hens if you can get any. it will take a few crosses to get the yellow legs back.
That is one white Bird
can you get a close up of that almost crele looking hen you posted on the Spanish Breed thread?

I am really disappointed today. My part crele Pen. pullet laid her first egg... it is an olive green egg. Guess we now know who the "other" parent is. Bummer...... Too bad you are so far away Jason. I'd give her to you.

On another note, the Black Copper Maran/Partridge Pen. pullets are laying the nicest deep chocolate eggs... darker than the pure PP ones.

And my PP pullets are starting to lay too.

Such fun~~~~~

And it has been really cold here for the last 9 days and nights. I've been hauling hot water to 4 pens of chickens and 6 dog kennels. Everyone seems content, though I have put polar-fleece coats on the 5 smooth coated Parson Jack Russells.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom