Empty crop

<3 N.C Chicken Chick <3

Songster
8 Years
Sep 24, 2011
Jacksonville N.C
My white silkie roos crop has been empty now for at least 2 days. He has grit out for him. He eats a small amount, and drinks. Has a resptory issue that I have been treating. Whats wrong with him? Thanks
hmm.png

That is a tough one. Has he shown any improvement with the tylan? Are the meds in his water and is he drinking it? Does he have access to a heat lamp if it is cool where you are? If that antibiotic is not helping I would switch to another. I would also give him boiled eggs and plain yogurt you can add some oatmeal if you want. Poor guy.. I would bring him inside if he is acting sick, sometimes a little sugar in the water can perk them up.

Thats the thing he isn't acting sick at all. But if you feel his crop its shrived, and empty. The tylan seams to have been helping they are hardley sneezing anymore.
smile.png
I have been treating all 7 of my chickens. Today was the last day.

Hopefully the tylan made him lose his appetite. I wish I could help you on this one, I've only had chickens a few years and have not encountered anything like that, altho I have noticed empty crops when one would not feel well but no fatalities from not eating. I notice my main roo barely eats some days because he is too busy watching out for the others, and when I give him snacks he gives it away, he has got pretty thin at times. If you can't get him to eat you can force some food, just not too big of bites so he can get it down properly, if you use chicken feed let it soak in water a few minutes first, sometimes that will be enough to get them to start eating again, and I would def go with a little sugar water about half teaspoon added to half cup of water. If you have not wormed them within the last 6 months I would definitely do it because they could have weakened immune systems from parasites. There little systems are so delicate, and yet they can be hardy little buggers. Please let me know how he progresses.

Back
Top Bottom