1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Empty nest syndrome and letting them go-What to do?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by sticksoup, May 7, 2009.

1. sticksoup

sticksoup Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    Bradenton
    I have two Pekins and live on a small pond. They are still growing up and will be under lock and key until they are fully grown. We have many natural predators for chicks~ turtles, hawks, alligators (eek- not seen yet in my pond, but you never know). So, my question is this- Do I just let them go one day and hope they come back? Do I leave the coop open for them at nights? I have no idea how adulthood works for ducks. I would be happy keeping them under lock and key forever but I know they would be happier in the pond.

It seems all the raising ducks articles are about getting them to adulthood~

Advice please!

2. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    With all those predators it would be best if you 'train' them to go in a coop at night. Also, if there are any gators or turtles in the pond, you will know by how the ducks act. A friend of mine when I lived in Florida had gotten a gator in her pond once. The ducks wouldn't go near the water. Now mine, here in KY, will avoid the deaper water if a snapping turtle has come to visit. I haven't had any problems with hawks with my ducks, I guess it helps that the ducks are probably twice as big as the hawks! But just train them to go in a coop at night, and they should be all right. That way, if you do happen to have a gator come visit you can keep them penned up.

3. chickenannie

chickenannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Maybe you can feed them in the coop in the evenings to train them to go in at night.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by