1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Empty Nest Syndrome and We're not too sure this is a good idea....

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by LilBizzy, Mar 1, 2009.

1. LilBizzy

LilBizzy Chicken Storyteller

May 20, 2008
    Maryland
    Look- we're just tiny little things in the Big House. Mamma... don't leave us..

[​IMG]

2. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    Awwwww

3. Please be careful with the heat lamp. So many people have lost their whole coop and babies from those things. My own heat lamp caught fire of it's own accord this winter, just burst into flames.

4. LilBizzy

LilBizzy Chicken Storyteller

May 20, 2008
    Maryland
    We had a coop fire 6 years ago from a heat lamp. So yes, they make me VERY nervous. Especially with this little group, cause we hatched these little ones. I made sure the heat lamp is very secure- it is clamped and tied.
    I might end up bringing them in for the night. It's chilly out there. But the brooder was just getting way too small for them.

5. rooster0209

rooster0209 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2008
    North Dakota
    I quit using a heatlamp bulb and went to a 100W light bulb. The theremometer still showed warm temps.

Those birds look big enough to stand the cold, especially since you have a heat lamp. Nice coop, those birds will grow into that space nicely

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by