1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

emptying feeder and strewing feed

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by nh10ring, Oct 6, 2012.

1. nh10ring

nh10ring Out Of The Brooder

May 23, 2007
    Warren, NH
    I have ued a Miller hanging poultry feeder for a few years now an have had good luck with it. But lately, my flock is strewing layer pellets all over the floor, which quickly empties the feeder. I have tried setting the feeder at different heights, but nothing seems to solve the problem. Any suggestions as to what I can do to solve this problem?

2. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    Ahhhh....the age old problem of chickens billing out feed. The best solution I have found is to set the feeder inside a larger pan with steep sides. The pan I use is a metal feed pan from the feed store, that has 4" sides. My feeder, which is a home-built, sits nicely inside it, and the feed that is billed out of the feeder ends up in the metal pan, where they can still eat it. Occasionally I will have some pellets billed even out of the metal pan, but my rule is those get cleaned up before I add any more feed.

3. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

x2
    All my 12 lb feeders are sitting inside black rubber fortex tubs.

The only thing I would add is that when I used a feeder with a larger lip they billed it out more. The 12 lb size works well for me because the lip is narrow (where the feed is able to be accessed by the chickens).

4. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    X3

Last year I switched to the small black rubber tubs because of the birds scooping out feed on the ground. These little tubs prevent "scooping" and unless a chicken knocks it over, there is no feed waste. They also work well if you want to wet the feed down. Love em"!

Last edited: Oct 7, 2012
  5. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    If you cut back there feed some they should stop "billing" feed out.
    I feed no more than the birds will eat in a 24 hour period, if the feeder is empty when I go out to feed the next day I offer a little more that feeding.

Also never put anything other than the feed in the feeder (no treats or scratch) this way they don't think that there is something better to eat in there.

Chris

Last edited: Oct 7, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by