Emu Chick Acting Strange

So I went to CVS and got some liquid vitamin b complex. I just gave him his first dose. Send good thoughts that he gets better. We're heart broken that he's not well. However, at times today he's been holding his head up normally so hopefully that's a good sign. I guess we'll just wait and see how he does over the next few days. We just have to make sure he's getting enough food and water as he hadnt been doing it on his own yet. He is only 4 days old so he would just be starting to eat and drink anyway.....wish us luck!!! Thanks for the help and advice.

The farmer I bought some emu chicks from told me to put vit. B complex liquid into their water everyday and if they developed the neck problem you described.

Seems B vitamins are super important to the little guys. I've given thiamine shots before to other animals, but dunno if you should yet for the emu chick.

Well good news so far, I got up this morning to find Rio up and about. Still a bit wobbly but seems much better. Eating and drinking on his own. From what I've read a vitamin b deficiency could take a couple of weeks to see results so I'm thinking maybe he was just dehydrated as I really hadn't seen him begin to eat or drink as of day 4. I'm just so grateful to see such an improvement. Thank you all for the support.....

Last edited:
Kiril
Was reading last night in the Emu farmers handbook - the book stated that when chicks start showing signs of vitamin deficiency at this age it can be due to not using the yoke sack fast enough to meet their needs - suggested more exercise so that the chick would utilize the yoke sack faster (along with the vitamins you are giving).

Well good news so far, I got up this morning to find Rio up and about. Still a bit wobbly but seems much better. Eating and drinking on his own. From what I've read a vitamin b deficiency could take a couple of weeks to see results so I'm thinking maybe he was just dehydrated as I really hadn't seen him begin to eat or drink as of day 4. I'm just so grateful to see such an improvement. Thank you all for the support.....

Wonderful news! I hope he keeps progressing.

It's always hard to lose a critter, but when there's young kids involved it's even more traumatic. I really hope things continue to go well.
smile.png

Came home tonight and Rio is just about back to normal. He's holding his head up, eating, drinking and running around with Sydney and the goslings. It's amazing because the emus and goslings hatched the same day, yet the goslings still seem the same where as the emu are growing like weeds. I don't want them to grow up too quick!!!!

Came home tonight and Rio is just about back to normal. He's holding his head up, eating, drinking and running around with Sydney and the goslings. It's amazing because the emus and goslings hatched the same day, yet the goslings still seem the same where as the emu are growing like weeds. I don't want them to grow up too quick!!!!
My emu Ella grew up with a gosling, General Gua, funniest thing they have always been together, they play together all day, they swim in their kiddie pool together and then at night they go into the horse barn, lay down groom each other and sleep together. They don't recognize a size difference even though they are both over a year old now, so there is quite a difference!LOL

Back
Top Bottom