Emu Hatch - Will it Happen?

Pics

ShannonsChimkens

Free Ranging
Premium Feather Member
Jan 4, 2020
Arlington Washington
Started with 4 eggs from two shipped batches. One egg from each batch started to stink. Opened them up to find nothing.

2 eggs remaining on day 27 & day 24. 97.5 degrees and 30% to 40% humidity on average. They’ve been weighed every 3 days. Nervous I guess :p

I believe there are emus in these two! They’re leaning to the pointed end, but too soon for the wiggle test to know for sure. The turning will stop January 27th and January 30th.

Anything I may be missing on temp and humidity? Don’t want to mess this up! I did take the advice in another thread to remove the tape. I had to keep one from losing too much weight while the other 3 were holding. Prior to removing the tape, both of the remaining eggs were holding weight perfectly. So just upped the humidity a little.

Attachments

• B2070648-96FE-4EE2-9FE1-26288FDAE6CF.jpeg
    B2070648-96FE-4EE2-9FE1-26288FDAE6CF.jpeg
    257.4 KB · Views: 48
Two day weigh in was good. Only because the tape had to be put back on egg 2. Egg 3 hasn’t lost enough weight overall. Not sure how to handle it at this point. No wiggles. Humidity has been 45% to 55% for current proper weight loss. Now I think taking the tape off Egg 2 originally was a bad idea.

E3 has more weight to lose than I think is possible before hatch day. E2 will be fine. More tape on E2 and lower humidity?

E2 is day 38 and E3 is day 34.
Too many numbers :confused:

The weight thing is definitely crazy making. That is a difficult dilemma, having a mix of losing too much or too little. The week you’re coming up on, ours lost quite a bit. I suppose you could try putting E3 into a different incubator and run it dry.

They do have a % range that is okay though.They might be fine. What is the % for each egg?

I will have to do some calculating when I get home. I think it’s even more complicated because they were put in the incubator 5 days apart.

E2 has 14 more grams it can lose in 10ish days.
E3 has 31 more grams it needs to lose in 15 days.

If things stay the same weight loss wise, E2 will lose about 20 grams in 10 days. E3 will lose about 19.5 grams in 15 days.

Back
Top Bottom