Emu Hatch - Will it Happen?

That almost sounds like a better way to do it. I get the weighing, but it almost seems like it’s interrupting them and their incubating.

Nothing from E2 yet. I stop turning it tomorrow night. It may be a dead baby. Hatch day should be Tuesday. E3 I swear wiggled the other night. But I keep telling myself it didn’t so I don’t get my hopes up :hmm that one I stop turning on Thursday.

So we shall see! I may try again if nothing happens, but might find someone closer to get eggs from. When do yours come in?

I don’t know, I think it’s good for them to “get out” and enjoy fresh air. It might save our sanity though lol.

After they’ve been out for a couple of minutes, try sitting them directly on the scale. Maybe it was because it was colder than the plastic container, but ours wiggles more when I did it. Keep your hands nearby in case they really wiggle lol.

My eggs should be at the USPS. I’m not home this weekend, so I’ll pick them up on Monday.

Where did you get them from? I may not order some right away if these don’t hatch, but curious where people would get quality hatching eggs. When I google emu farms in Washington, not much comes up.

What type of incubator are yours going in again? Thinking about getting the small Brinsea cabinet incubator for next attempt. One that can rotate the eggs for me.

Where did you get them from? I may not order some right away if these don’t hatch, but curious where people would get quality hatching eggs. When I google emu farms in Washington, not much comes up.

What type of incubator are yours going in again? Thinking about getting the small Brinsea cabinet incubator for next attempt. One that can rotate the eggs for me.

The new batch is from Christoper Barth. I can give you his info if you’d like. He’s got a good reputation, and his eggs are reasonably priced.

I use the GQF 1502 incubator. I paid $350 used. Bought it from a show judge. I also have a NR 360, Brinsea Ovation 28, and a still air. I’d like to get the see through door for my GQF.

Ugh. I still have fingers crossed that you’ll have at least one hatch!

You could drill a safety hole just in case. If the egg goes cold in the incubator after a while, my experience was dead egg. Warm egg on underside after safety hole (and back in the incubator for a while), chick. Just my experience.

I didn’t open E3 yet, but I did do a safety hole on E2. Then realized there’s nothing in it. No emu to be found.

So... this makes me think that some of the tests I won’t be able to rely on. It stayed warm on the leaning side after 5 minutes. Noticeably. It also leaned considerably on the pointed end.

I’m sure there would be a huge difference if there was a growing embryo. But I don’t have that to compare to. I’m guessing I will have the same results with E3. As the tests were the same result.

BUT.... She is sending me 4 more eggs that were laid today at no charge! Made today/this week soooo much better. After the truck accident, finding one of my chickens dead, and not having emu babies... this was wonderful to hear. Should have them Friday maybe?

Open the last egg. After opening the other one, had a feeling something wasn’t right for E3. Glad I didn’t wait.

All 4 had zero development.

Learning quite a bit from this for the next batch coming in. I’m going to assume the “leaning” to the pointed end needs to have more leaning than what I saw in the last two. The cool down test will probably need to be almost hot on the end if there’s a chick growing, not just warm.

But you have first hand experience with a chick actually developing. Was there a difference with the tests for you on each egg?

Back
Top Bottom