Emus

WoaFarm

Hatching
May 20, 2015
I have a young Emu, I just moved her from the original pen to a new home. I noticed her leg is turning outward and she now has a limp. She is only about 3 mos old, but what I have read is that an Emu under stress, this can happen. I have noticed Dexamethasone seems to be the best thing for them. Does anyone have any experience with this? I have been trying to get her the prescription but I seem to keep running into walls. Would any be able to help or point me in the right direction?

WOA

Hi So sad.... I get very upset when I read things like this......have you only noticed it now at 3 months old ???

What space had it up to now ?
Calla

Last edited:
Sometimes they can pop tendons out of place or sprain them, especially if being moved from a smaller space and over exert themselves in a larger run. Palpate the leg if you can, see if you can feel the tendons and possibly manipulate it back to where it belongs. I do not have any experience with the drug so cannot offer anything as far as that goes. My emus are about three months old now so I an imagine your's is quite large. Take care in handling them.

It just happened within a couple of days I moved them on Saturday and she was fine. Yesterday I noticed a limp which I then carefully watched her end started to notice a diffference in her walk. She is only 3 months old and has been in the same holding pen since birth. I am gradually giving them bigger space as they get bigger and cannot hurt themselves. Do you have any advise or did you just want to express your sadness.

WOA

Back
Top Bottom