Encouraging Broodiness

jefra

In the Brooder
12 Years
Mar 26, 2007
Utah Valley
We have 4 girls - a RIR, a Buff Orp, a SLW, and a Americauna. We'd love to stick some eggs under one of them but not one is acting broody at all.

Is there some way we can encourage broodiness? What do the conditions need to be? Will they go broody on their own? and what can we do if they don't?

Thanks!!

I do not know of anyway to get them to go broody they just do when they feel it is the right time. If you live in a cold climate than they might know that it is to cold to go broody. Also some breeds like your RIR will prolly never go broody. They are not a very broody breed. If you really want a good broody than do soem research. I am not sure if the other three breeds are really very broody. I think that maybe the BO is but not a 100 percents sure. Just give it some time and you may have some.

I have found by leaving eggs in the nest or purchasing fake eggs and placing them in the nest, you'll find who is feeling broody and who is not. I did it with some ceramic eggs and today I'm going to isolate the 2 girls who have stay with the eggs into a separate area with some real eggs to set on. They say it's hormonal but I feel you have to give them a reason to be as well.

edited to add: My broodies are a Dark Cornish & a Turken
big_smile.png

Last edited:
With my buff orps, blues and light brahmas its always been hormonal...never did get one to set with using a fake egg or real one ...

After one starts to sit how many eggs could you put under? And how much time would you have?
Keeping in mind I have Silkies (small)

plan to use as many eggs as possible-they will all go broody-or at least stop laying:rolleyes: another option get silkies-almost broody all the time:lol:

That RIR may never go broody especially if she is a hatchery hen.

I have never experienced being able to make nor predict a hen gooing broody. I agree with Tuffoldhen.

thanks guys.

ok.

so I'll get some ceramic eggs and leave them in the nest then. hopefully that will help. i'm banking on the buff orp to go broody, but we'll see...

sigh. I had the best silkie who was the best broody but she's long gone now and never had a chance to hatch anything. such a bummer.

Back
Top Bottom