Encouraging going in the coop on their own at dusk?

Ciqala

Songster
6 Years
Apr 14, 2013
New Hampshire
My chicks, I'd say around 2 months old, have been outside for the last couple of weeks. Last night was the first night I waited to see if they'd go in their coop on their own at dusk, didn't happen. They squished together behind their covered litter box top I put out in their run and did their "bedtime peeps" with one of them doing their distressed peeping. When I walked out to them, a couple of them flew to the hardware cloth fence wall where I was standing. They were also much more cooperative about me grabbing them, when I eventually had to, last night to put them away than previous nights.

Eventually I went in and tried scratching at the top of their ramp, they lined up like kindergartners and headed up BUT the first few plopped their feathered butts at the pop door opening, which caused the rest to not go in or head back down the ramp. They do go in and out through out the day, and since day one of putting them out there I feed/refresh their water when they're going in for the night. Any tips to help my little ladies get a clue to put themselves to bed? Should I wait until it's actually dark, rather than dusk, to see if they go in?

I don't have much experience but, I'd say first make sure they have no where to roost/hide at night in their run. I'd also think of luring them into the coop with treats at dusk. I only had to herd mine in for less than a week so, I really have no idea LOL.

Do you have a light on inside the coop? I have found chicks who are learning to go in at night need a little light in there, and usually they will go in when it is getting dark. If you have electric or a long cord to the coop, you can put a timer with the light to come on before dusk, and go off say an hour after dusk. Once they get older, you don't have to keep the light on, although I do so that I can do a head count each night.

I had the same experience and found that having a little light in the coop did the trick. They have no night vision and seemed really scared after dark so the light was what they needed just for a couple of nights. I used one of those big button looking closet lights, battery operated, push on/off.

Thanks, I'll pick up a light for them. I don't have electric out to the coop, those big button looking ones will work great.

My chickens will still hesitate at the door to let their eyes adjust, if they wait untill it is deep dusk. They never stay out after dark. I did help them when they were little. I also sang to them as I got them in the coop. A year later, and this has been helpful! If they seem reluctant to wind up the day, or if I need to lock them up a little early, I start sing their betime song and off they go!

Chicken bedtime song ( to lullaby and goodnight tune):

Go to sleep, go to sleep,
Now my sweet little peep peeps.
It's time for bed, 
On your roost, sleepy heads.

Settle down, on your roost,
In your safe little coop,
Go to sleep, go to sleep,
Now my sweet little peeps.

Not a super creative song, but it is easy to remember! Feel free to make suggestions...the girls do not care about the words, but they like the musical tune and a quiet relaxing voice... ;)

I've raised a lot of chicks, and never did a group of them "get it" about cooping up at night in a new place. For about a week, I have to go out at dusk and catch them and put them in. A few more go in every night. In about a week, everyone understands and coops up on their own. This happens even if they were brooded in the same coop--once they get to go outside, they completely forget to go home the first few nights.

Thank you SO much for the night light suggestion. Tonight was the first time I tried it and my gosh it went great!!! I was in awe as they lined up the ramp, in their own time, and jumped in themselves, some had to squish through the others clogging up the pop door but wow, thanks again. I didn't have to grab one of my twelve chicks! There wasn't even any of the loud upset peeping when I closed the pop door, just quiet little happy chicks getting ready to roost for bed
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom