37.7C
63% humidity
Brinsea Covina 12

IMG_20201030_185817.jpg
IMG_20201030_185756.jpg
IMG_20201030_185733.jpg
IMG_20201030_185854.jpg
IMG_20201030_185835.jpg

There’s only one out of the bunch that I can’t see clearly enough to say pitch ‘em all. The first and last are definite quitters, as is the 3rd. The second is hard to see but looks dead. Any movement in the 4th while candling? That’s the only one I can’t get a clear read on.

*ETA the last actually appears to be clear, not a quitter. Sorry. Either way non viable.

those look dead to me .. if your not using a secondary themometer actually inside the unit near or on the eggs i would do that next time to be sure temps are right .. humidity isnt as critical except in the last 3 days imo ..

There’s only one out of the bunch that I can’t see clearly enough to say pitch ‘em all. The first and last are definite quitters, as is the 3rd. The second is hard to see but looks dead. Any movement in the 4th while candling? That’s the only one I can’t get a clear read on.

*ETA the last actually appears to be clear, not a quitter. Sorry. Either way non viable.
Thank you for checking and explaining. What does pitch them mean? Do you think they were all at one stage fertile? I wonder if it is time to give up?

those look dead to me .. if your not using a secondary themometer actually inside the unit near or on the eggs i would do that next time to be sure temps are right .. humidity isnt as critical except in the last 3 days imo ..
Hi I have a secondary them and hygro too, reading 37.7C and 65%

Thank you for checking and explaining. What does pitch them mean? Do you think they were all at one stage fertile? I wonder if it is time to give up?
I would throw out the ones that are obviously dead. The last picture didn’t develop, or not far enough to show up when candling.

The first picture looks like it started developing and then stopped.

The second egg has an odd space on the top left of the egg in the orientation it is in the picture; I usually find, if I open up eggs that look like this, that this space is full of fluid or decomposing yolk.

the third egg has an obvious blood ring, which if you’re not really sure what you’re looking for can be hard to miss. It loops down in a ring towards the bottom of the egg.

the fourth egg, the one I can’t see well enough, would be the only one that may have any sort of chance. With that one, when you have it on the candler, can you see movement within the egg? It’s possible it’s a little bit behind, if you see movement and there’s a viable chick in there. Sometimes I’ll tap the egg gently with my fingernail, and get a movement in response, if it’s alive.

sorry to not be more clear, I tend to ramble when I get going. Haha.

I would throw out the ones that are obviously dead. The last picture didn’t develop, or not far enough to show up when candling.

The first picture looks like it started developing and then stopped.

The second egg has an odd space on the top left of the egg in the orientation it is in the picture; I usually find, if I open up eggs that look like this, that this space is full of fluid or decomposing yolk.

the third egg has an obvious blood ring, which if you’re not really sure what you’re looking for can be hard to miss. It loops down in a ring towards the bottom of the egg.

the fourth egg, the one I can’t see well enough, would be the only one that may have any sort of chance. With that one, when you have it on the candler, can you see movement within the egg? It’s possible it’s a little bit behind, if you see movement and there’s a viable chick in there. Sometimes I’ll tap the egg gently with my fingernail, and get a movement in response, if it’s alive.

sorry to not be more clear, I tend to ramble when I get going. Haha.
Hi. Thank you so much for your time. Do all of these issues and problems point you towards a specific thing I may have done wrong? I see no mvoement in egg 4 I am afraid. On top of that, I daren't crack open any of them just in case!!

Hi. Thank you so much for your time. Do all of these issues and problems point you towards a specific thing I may have done wrong? I see no mvoement in egg 4 I am afraid. On top of that, I daren't crack open any of them just in case!!
Sometimes things just happen; every hatch, good or bad, is a learning experience. :) I’ve had hatches where almost everything develops, and all of those hatch, and I’ve had hatches where none of them develop or a bunch quit some time through. They were all shipped eggs though, which definitely makes a difference sometimes.

Were these eggs from your own flock, or from someone local? Or were they shipped eggs? I’m not familiar with your incubator, but you mentioned you have a secondary thermometer/hygrometer in there. Were the secondary ones calibrated/checked for accuracy? How high was your humidity throughout incubation? So many factors that can make a difference. Have you hatched from this incubator before?

If you’re comfortable doing it, you can take egg 4 and make a small hole in the air cell end so you can see in there. If you see movement against the membrane when the egg is still, pop the egg back in the incubator and leave it be a little longer. I wouldn’t bother opening any of the others unless you want to look at various stages of development and/or decomposition...

Sometimes things just happen; every hatch, good or bad, is a learning experience. :) I’ve had hatches where almost everything develops, and all of those hatch, and I’ve had hatches where none of them develop or a bunch quit some time through. They were all shipped eggs though, which definitely makes a difference sometimes.

Were these eggs from your own flock, or from someone local? Or were they shipped eggs? I’m not familiar with your incubator, but you mentioned you have a secondary thermometer/hygrometer in there. Were the secondary ones calibrated/checked for accuracy? How high was your humidity throughout incubation? So many factors that can make a difference. Have you hatched from this incubator before?

If you’re comfortable doing it, you can take egg 4 and make a small hole in the air cell end so you can see in there. If you see movement against the membrane when the egg is still, pop the egg back in the incubator and leave it be a little longer. I wouldn’t bother opening any of the others unless you want to look at various stages of development and/or decomposition...
Hi. They were shipped. I cracked open the two clear ones - one looked like a normal egg and the other did too but with a very small black lump. I've left the rest for now. I've only compared the internal display to the secondary and vice versa. Nothing else. It's a Brinsea Covina 12. I ran at 37.7C and 50% and then 37.5C and about 65% in lockdown.

Back
Top Bottom