End of day 22?

Thank you. One last question... So I know this won't injure a chick, but what about vice versa? Could this save one that wouldn't otherwise hatch?!
It’ll save you from throwing out a chick! Haha. I usually open any eggs I’m not 100% sure on, just in case. They can surprise you sometimes. :)

in cases where chicks are internally pipped but are struggling, sometimes you can save one that wouldn’t otherwise hatch. They’re not good candidates for breeding usually, though, because it’s impossible to know if the trouble was caused by genetics or issues during incubation. All comes down to personal preference though.

It’ll save you from throwing out a chick! Haha. I usually open any eggs I’m not 100% sure on, just in case. They can surprise you sometimes. :)

in cases where chicks are internally pipped but are struggling, sometimes you can save one that wouldn’t otherwise hatch. They’re not good candidates for breeding usually, though, because it’s impossible to know if the trouble was caused by genetics or issues during incubation. All comes down to personal preference though.
I really need to be courageous... Shall I wait until day 23 or have a go now? It must be hard to see in?

I really need to be courageous... Shall I wait until day 23 or have a go now? It must be hard to see in?
You’re not seeing any signs of life candling. I would start with a small hole in the air cell end and go from there. :)

I find it helps to make a hole big enough to just see in, then shine my phone light on the side of the egg, so it shines in but isn’t obstructing the hole.

kind of like this. (100% drew a “hole” on a store bought egg to take a pic to demonstrate. I’ve described it numerous times now and it’s much easier to show it. Haha!)
5648565E-364A-40D2-9C4F-BB2C1DDFBC4F.jpeg

You’re not seeing any signs of life candling. I would start with a small hole in the air cell end and go from there. :)

I find it helps to make a hole big enough to just see in, then shine my phone light on the side of the egg, so it shines in but isn’t obstructing the hole.

kind of like this. (100% drew a “hole” on a store bought egg to take a pic to demonstrate. I’ve described it numerous times now and it’s much easier to show it. Haha!)
View attachment 2393383
Thank you so much. I'll have a go. Once I look inside, what's good/bad to see? I'm going to go and try :)

Thank you so much. I'll have a go. Once I look inside, what's good/bad to see? I'm going to go and try :)
So usually when you open up the end, you’ll see an opaque white membrane. If there’s movement pushing against that membrane, that’s a good sign. Put it back in. If it smells bad or off, or there’s no movement, then it’s dead. (I had quail eggs this last hatch that I couldn’t seen into at all, the shell was just too thick, and as soon as I opened a hole in the end, you could smell them. They had died and were starting to decompose.)
If there’s no movement but it doesn’t stink, I like to take a q-tip/cotton swab and get either some coconut oil or something similar and gently pat that onto the membrane. This makes it transparent so you can see on the other side. Usually once you touch it, it’ll move if it’s alive. I’ve never had one that’s still been alive, be so still after I’ve done this. You should get a reaction of some sort if it is. Go slowly and gently and you’ll be fine. 👍

So usually when you open up the end, you’ll see an opaque white membrane. If there’s movement pushing against that membrane, that’s a good sign. Put it back in. If it smells bad or off, or there’s no movement, then it’s dead. (I had quail eggs this last hatch that I couldn’t seen into at all, the shell was just too thick, and as soon as I opened a hole in the end, you could smell them. They had died and were starting to decompose.)
If there’s no movement but it doesn’t stink, I like to take a q-tip/cotton swab and get either some coconut oil or something similar and gently pat that onto the membrane. This makes it transparent so you can see on the other side. Usually once you touch it, it’ll move if it’s alive. I’ve never had one that’s still been alive, be so still after I’ve done this. You should get a reaction of some sort if it is. Go slowly and gently and you’ll be fine. 👍
Eek, you sound braver than me! I'll give it a go now :) not sure I can deal with the smell!

Eek, you sound braver than me! I'll give it a go now :) not sure I can deal with the smell!
I’ve hatched a fair bit this year, I considered it all a learning experience. That smell will never be forgotten though. 🤣 I learned really quick which ones not to open after that. You will too! Haha. Good luck, let us know what you find. :)

Back
Top Bottom