Ended- Imperfectly perfect chicken contest 2💕Hosted by @SilkiePrincess and @PippinTheChicken

Silkie Princess

Crossing the Road
Jun 24, 2021
Slovakia, Europe
My Coop
My Coop
1633597915429.png

Do you have a chicken that has a crossbeak, is a mixed breed or has special needs? This is the contest where they can shine! I want to know your chicken's story! Quail, Ducks and Geese are allowed.
there is no limit on the number of entries.
Ps: write why your chicken is special.

Entry form:

Name:
Breed:

For example:

Name: Crooksie
Breed: Silkie

1633597297302.png

starts: 7th of October
ends: 1st of December

Have fun!

Last edited:
Name: April
Breed: Polish
96F1CC90-F2AA-4ED2-A07A-6750CB825B2D.jpeg
A5C4444F-2C86-4484-B5B9-D0D17ECF244A.jpeg

This is April. She was born with a foot facing backwards along with a few other issues. We put a brace on her because we thought at first it was splayed leg. It did nothing but cause her pain. We decided we were going to put her down. We took the brace off her leg. As soon as we took it off she stopped crying and was jumping around, and acting like a normal chicken. We decided to let her stay with her mother and sister since she was doing well. She cried every time you separated her from her family. At about 1.5-2 months old her mothers decided that it was time to sleep upstairs with the other chickens (we had a separate coop for her as you can see in the back of the first photo). She couldn’t roost or jump up onto each of the stairs. Every night I had to crawl into the back of their coop to lift her up there. Two of my other chickens decided she was to weak to stay in the flock and tried to get her out, luckily everyone else came to her defence. The last week of her life she was sleeping a lot and all her flock mates (including the ones that were bullying her) spent a lot of time sitting with her making sad chicken noises. Her mother spent a lot of time sitting with her crying. We knew she wasn’t going to make it much longer and tried to give her the best life possible. On January the 23rd 2021 she passed away peacefully in her sleep with her family and flock mates around her. She was 3 months old.

Apologies for the long story.

Name: April
Breed: Polish
View attachment 2858135View attachment 2858136
This is April. She was born with a foot facing backwards along with a few other issues. We put a brace on her because we thought at first it was splayed leg. It did nothing but cause her pain. We decided we were going to put her down. We took the brace off her leg. As soon as we took it off she stopped crying and was jumping around, and acting like a normal chicken. We decided to let her stay with her mother and sister since she was doing well. She cried every time you separated her from her family. At about 1.5-2 months old her mothers decided that it was time to sleep upstairs with the other chickens (we had a separate coop for her as you can see in the back of the first photo). She couldn’t roost or jump up onto each of the stairs. Every night I had to crawl into the back of their coop to lift her up there. Two of my other chickens decided she was to weak to stay in the flock and tried to get her out, luckily everyone else came to her defence. The last week of her life she was sleeping a lot and all her flock mates (including the ones that were bullying her) spent a lot of time sitting with her making sad chicken noises. Her mother spent a lot of time sitting with her crying. We knew she wasn’t going to make it much longer and tried to give her the best life possible. On January the 23rd 2021 she passed away peacefully in her sleep with her family and flock mates around her. She was 3 months old.

Apologies for the long story.
Aww, what a touching story! R.I.P April❤

Name: Herky Jerky
Breed: Crevecour

My little Herky Jerky!💕 She started developing crossbeak at several months old and I honestly wasn't sure how she would do....but she eat and drinks fine and stays a healthy weight! She is laying age but I'm not sure she will ever lay which is fine with me! Her head is constantly dirty.😂 This is an old picture and her beak is significantly worse now. But she's still beautiful!

Attachments

• 20210610_162303.jpg
    20210610_162303.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 6
  • 20210610_162256.jpg
    20210610_162256.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 7
Name: Spinny
Breed: White face black spanish

20211001_175342.jpg
20211001_175525.jpg

He looks normal on the outside but is still a bit "special". He had wry neck at a very young age and would jerky his head around and spin in circles. We treated him and now he's a fully functional teenager! He still gets a bit jerky when he's excited and he's a total cuddle bug! (Until hormones kick in)

Name: Coconut
Breed: Mixed Welsummer x EE x brown leghorn

7EE352FD-16C6-4AAF-8355-4E4DAEDD5B58.jpeg

This is Coconut as a chick.
She is not special needs anymore, but I will tell you her story.

I brought her egg home from a place 4 hours from my house. Along with 23 more eggs to be hatched. The very first day I put her in the incubator (as an egg) the incubator got to 115° F. The next week, it got to 108° F
and then the next week it got to 103° F. Then there isn’t any problems for awhile. Then I put her and the other survivng eggs in the incubator.
65714216-0A55-422E-A601-F60BCA0CEA9A.jpeg

Everyone that was going to hatch, hatches. I wait a day, candling when needed to see if there were no more survivors. Finally, I realized there were no more. I started bringing the dead eggs out to throw away and.. Peep Peep! I saw a pip I didn’t see before in her egg! I left her there and put her back in the incubator. 1 day later, no progress. She is still alive though. Then she starts zipping. Yay! Then she stops. And she stops for 3 hours. I know something is up at this point and start my assist. I know the risk of assisting. I open her up and… I don’t see a chick. Just a fat blob of skin and fur.
My heart dropped.
I didn’t know if she formed right.. I didn’t know if there was a chick in there. I didn’t see a way to save her. I left her in the hatcher and went to Chili’s with my family. The whole time I knew that I had to cull her. I really didn’t want to.
So I went home, preparing for the worst.
She was still in there. Peeping, wanting to get out. I really didn't want to cull here. So i decided to get a better look. I opened her up more and more. I kept working and… I found a head. I found a head. I found a head!!
I opened her all the way, I knew she couldn’t get out by herself. She was stuck to her egg. I had to rip the egg off of her. *Gently*
She came out COVERED in goo. She had eggshell all over her, I tried to get as much off as possible. She pretty much grew up with no problem, and she is gorgeous.
She has the smoothest feathers and has little muffs complete with a beard.
I’m hoping she lays speckled green eggs… we will see.

FABF325C-6AB5-4789-B8D0-23A2579D55BE.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom