Ended Official BYC Mini-contest - Tell us your funniest chicken story and win!

When ever I remember this story it makes me laugh so hard!!
lau.gif

Once when my grandfather was a little boy he and his two brothers received three chicks from there grandparents farm. They all turned out to be roosters and he adored his. There grandparents

took care of the roosters for them because they had no room. When they were older his rooster killed the other two and attacked his grandmother every time she went to feed them. So one day he

came over to visit his grandparents, after supper his grandmother asked if he like the chicken dinner, "I loved it!" he said, then his grandmother replied, "Good, because it was your rooster." He never

really liked chicken until a couple years later! I could just imagine my grandfathers face!
gig.gif

In September 2014 I began my journey as a backyard chicken keeper. I only have three little hens, and being a city girl, had no idea what I was doing. With a lot of reading, the help of backyardchickens.com, friends who raised chickens and patience, I am now getting eggs and it is great! I have cats as well and had no idea how the chickens and cats would get along. I had read some articles that said cats could hurt my chickens so when I got brave enough to let them out of the run, I was geared up . I turned on the water hose, got my hoe and rake and was prepared to defend my flock at all costs, from all enemies foreign and domestic.
The girls were delighted to get to roam in the yard and have a little freedom. And if cats approached, I would squirt water in their general direction and they would take off. But....one day I went to get something out of the shed and as I was coming out I saw a cat approaching Cissy, my EE. I was not near the hose and started yelling at the cat to get away but to my surprise Cissy flattened out like a torpedo and launched. Imagine a little golden EE, maybe 5 pounds, shooting herself across the yard and right at that cat! It was priceless! The cat leaped into the air and scurried as fast as it could under the old truck.
yippiechickie.gif

And so it goes. No cat is brave enough to take on my chicks and if they do they get pecked right in the head!

Wow. One story? But I have so many! .......

One evening I was outside watching my chickens. I noticed that Vanita, my favorite pet hen, was in peril. A young rooster was chasing her. Apperantly she didn't like him because she was sqwaking and flapping and putting up a fuss, and running as fast as she could to get away from her pursuer. She ran and ran and ran, frantic because she couldn't get rid of that persistent little rooster. He was right behind her. I was wondering how long this would last when all of a sudden Vanita veered toward me, jumped into the air and flew right into my arms! The little barred rock roo just stood and glared at me for rescuing his girl. Vanita was happy to stay in my arms until he went away! It was so funny. I'll never forget the day when I " accidentally" saved my favorite hen!

D.gif

In September 2014 I began my journey as a backyard chicken keeper. I only have three little hens, and being a city girl, had no idea what I was doing. With a lot of reading, the help of backyardchickens.com, friends who raised chickens and patience, I am now getting eggs and it is great! I have cats as well and had no idea how the chickens and cats would get along. I had read some articles that said cats could hurt my chickens so when I got brave enough to let them out of the run, I was geared up . I turned on the water hose, got my hoe and rake and was prepared to defend my flock at all costs, from all enemies foreign and domestic.
The girls were delighted to get to roam in the yard and have a little freedom. And if cats approached, I would squirt water in their general direction and they would take off. But....one day I went to get something out of the shed and as I was coming out I saw a cat approaching Cissy, my EE. I was not near the hose and started yelling at the cat to get away but to my surprise Cissy flattened out like a torpedo and launched. Imagine a little golden EE, maybe 5 pounds, shooting herself across the yard and right at that cat! It was priceless! The cat leaped into the air and scurried as fast as it could under the old truck.
yippiechickie.gif

And so it goes. No cat is brave enough to take on my chicks and if they do they get pecked right in the head!

Haha! My chickens chase my cat all the time. I can't think of a single instance where a cat attacked a chicken! So funny!

Ok. Here it goes.

I was running with my turkey, Thomas, and i think we went a little too fast. We live next door to a hotel, and we have a fence seperating it. So, my turkey started to fly. She flew over my head, over the fence, and into the parking lot. 'O gosh...' i thought to myself as i ran next door. There were these two bikers in the parking lot. I look at the motorcycle, and i see Tom on the seat of the motorcycle. I rush over and apologize to the bikers. They arent mad, and they actually want to take a couple pictures of her. She poses, then after that, I take her back over to my house. I look at her. She looks back at me.

lol, there it is!

Here's my story
The first time we had snow with the chickens was quite the experience! We got only about three or four inches that night. After I opened their door, they all ventured outside into the strange, white world. Sunny jumped up to a roost with no snow on it, just as little Speckles cautiously and timidly decided to come out from the coop. Just then, Sunny flew to the top roost that had a lot of snow resting on it. The feeling of the cold snow scared her. She squawked loudly and jumped off. Sadly, all the snow fell off and landed, of all places, on top of Speckles! She flew up in the air with fright, almost crashing into Sunny who was falling down. Both of them ran into the coop, still freaking out!

Sunny

My flock

Speckles

Last edited:
In the spring of 2013 my wife and I decided to purchas 3 chickens as a fun hobby and a way to have a supply of fresh eggs. We have had many tragedies over the past couple years and the last of our originals died about a month ago. Just before that we happened to be at the local garden center and they had pullets for sale. (this was at the tail end of OCT. 2014) I still had three chickens at the time two of which were not from the original group. So we decided to purchase two Americauna pullets. We brought them home and kept them in a huge birdcage that we were storing in our basement. About a month later I decided it was time to introduce them to my small flock. I put them in after dark as I had heard this was to best time to perform such an operation. A day later I opened the coop to find Jessie dead and Betsy cowering in the corner of the nesting box. I quickly pulled her out and brought her back inside to the cage in our basement. As she was now alone I could no longer allow her to be in the basement all by her lonesome so I brought the bird cage and Betsy upstairs to the kitchen. When ever I am outside I let the chickens out including my "kitchen chicken". Betsy the "kitchen chicken" was constantly being herassed by the others outside. Typically she is able to scurry around quickly enough to avoid them. On occassion they trap her and me being our only rooster I had to protect her. From that moment on we have been inseperable. She follows me every where I go in the yard. While the others forge she spends most of her time keeping track of me. We have developed such a bond that if I sit down outside she flies into my lap and plops down for a rest. If I go inside without her she ascends the stairs to the front porch and stands by the door squawking until I come back. Often in the evenings she cuddles with me on my lap in front of the fire watching TV. The other day I had left her out and I opened the door to find her doing her I want inside cackle. I opened the door to see what she would do. Usually I pick her up and bring her in. She walked in the house as expected cliking her nails on the wood floors. What came next was unexpected. She walked into the kitchen, then into her cage, pushed around the pine chips, nested at the bottom of the cage and puffed up and passed out. The poor girl was exhausted from an entire day outside. This has become a ritual. She is just about as well trained as a dog and equally as loyal.

Last edited:
In the spring of 2013 my wife and I decided to purchas 3 chickens as a fun hobby and a way to have a supply of fresh eggs. We have had many tragedies over the past couple years and the last of our originals died about a month ago. Just before that we happened to be at the local garden center and they had pullets for sale. (this was at the tail end of OCT. 2014) I still had three chickens at the time two of which were not from the original group. So we decided to purchase two Americauna pullets. We brought them home and kept them in a huge birdcage that we were storing in our basement. About a month later I decided it was time to introduce them to my small flock. I put them in after dark as I had heard this was to best time to perform such an operation. A day later I opened the coop to find Jessie dead and Betsy cowering in the corner of the nesting box. I quickly pulled her out and brought her back inside to the cage in our basement. As she was now alone I could no longer allow her to be in the basement all by her lonesome so I brought the bird cage and Betsy upstairs to the kitchen. When ever I am outside I let the chickens out including my "kitchen chicken". Betsy the "kitchen chicken" was constantly being herassed by the others outside. Typically she is able to scurry around quickly enough to avoid them. On occassion they trap her and me being our only rooster I had to protect her. From that moment on we have been inseperable. She follows me every where I go in the yard. While the others forge she spends most of her time keeping track of me. We have developed such a bond that if I sit down outside she flies into my lap and plops down for a rest. If I go inside without her she ascends the stairs to the front porch and stands by the door squawking until I come back. Often in the evenings she cuddles with me on my lap in front of the fire watching TV. The other day I had left her out and I opened the door to find her doing her I want inside cackle. I opened the door to see what she would do. Usually I pick her up and bring her in. She walked in the house as expected cliking her nails on the wood floors. What came next was unexpected. She walked into the kitchen, then into her cage, pushed around the pine chips, nested at the bottom of the cage and puffed up and passed out. The poor girl was exhausted from an entire day outside. This has become a ritual. She is just about as well trained as a dog and equally as loyal.
love.gif
Sweet story!

welcome-byc.gif

That is a great story!

Back
Top Bottom