English Shepherd as Poultry Guardian

I run a mostly closed herd and worm rarely (by fecal checks). My goats are currently eating a lot of bamboo, I haven't started haying yet. My biggest challenge is minerals, especially copper and selenium. Best wishes on your herd-building and I enjoy reading your threads!
I have a stand of bamboo and want to see if the goats can handle it. The species I have is not the native that I know the goats and cattle eat well.

At this time, chickens are a secondary concern for dogs. They want to check on sheep, so must limit number of dogs out at a time. Honey still barks at them, but she is starting relax a little. Pup Pup needs to be told twice not to mess with them. Flo needs only be told once and she moves off on her own after checking them, much like she does the chickens. Honey and Pup Pup will likely better helping me move the sheep and goats, but only one dog at a time. Pup Pup will be used first because she responds better to my direction.

We now have two sheep, still crazy, and a single nanny goat penned in barn area. I take all the dogs by them multiple times per day. Only three dogs at a time at most. The goat is very tame and easy to lead. I can't wait for herd to be 6 nanny goats and about a dozen adult sheep. I want for the most part guarding. The alpacas are a bit on the pansy side so a lot more work will be needed to get in with dogs. A lot of fencing must go in this spring and dogs must learn to respect the livestock contained by the fencing.

Now will start letting barn chickens forage the entire barnyard area that is now enclosed. Flo will be kept penned during day when they are out. She is eating the feed, even shelled corn. I hope chickens will leave sheep and goat feed alone. If not, then the larger animals will be fed at night.
In my experience, chickens prefer their own feed to horse and cow feed, and horse and cow feed to sheep and goat feed. However everything loves sweetfeed

Back
Top Bottom