English Shepherd as Poultry Guardian

We had a major assault with no battery owing to fence. A pair of neighbor's dogs to NE were barking at something in our general direction, I presume sheep and goats. First Peanut and Flo ran over to challenge and when they started barking then all of my dogs ran over. Our six wanted to fight their four. I had some trouble calling mine back because neighbor dogs attempted to follow by running parallel along north fence perimeter. One of neighbors came out to get their biggest dogs. After that I could hear a lot of unpleasant people sounds.

It is time to rehome Booger. It is not that is he is a bad dog at all. He is proving great and very trustworthy with livestock and chickens. When we got Booger, the seller said we could bring him back any time for a full return on his selling price if we were not satisfied. That was odd. Based on his overall appearance I think he is half pitbull terrier. His legs are relatively short and spread and his body is just too solid. His gate is also very different from what I expect for an English Shepherd. His head and muzzle are much to robust for an English Shepherd. He is also very much on the smaller size for any English Shepherds I've seen. He is very athletic in ways that involve brute strength.

It is time to rehome Booger.
Which one is Booger? I don't remember you referring to him by name before this.

Edit: I think I figured it out.
Pup (Peanut) has been introduced to Bugger (Changed from Bandit), Honey and Pup Pup. Peanut is having anxiety issues and got picked on a little bit by Bugger....

So Booger is Bugger is Bandit, the male pup you showed in this post:
Bandit male welped October 13, 2021. Not my photograph. Current age about 13 weeks.
View attachment 2948975

Last edited:
My dogs always have a couple of names. Their "working" name is what I call them when I want to get their attention, to give a command. They also need a name for when I'm talking about them but don't want them to alert, or know I'm talking about them. For example, "Sammy, sit," when I want a response, but, "Did I tell you what Bozo did today?" He also has a public name, for when people say, "What's your dog's name?" Since he's a Sheltie, I just tell them, "Lassie."

My dogs always have a couple of names. Their "working" name is what I call them when I want to get their attention, to give a command. They also need a name for when I'm talking about them but don't want them to alert, or know I'm talking about them. For example, "Sammy, sit," when I want a response, but, "Did I tell you what Bozo did today?" He also has a public name, for when people say, "What's your dog's name?" Since he's a Sheltie, I just tell them, "Lassie."
Why can’t the public know their names? Just curious. I just tell people his real name 😂🙈

Why can’t the public know their names? Just curious. I just tell people his real name 😂🙈
Because as soon as they know your dog's name, the first thing they do is start ordering your dog around to see if it's trained. "Sit, Lassie, Sit! Shake! Shake, Lassie!" Telling strangers your dog's name is like giving them the keys to your car. Why should my dog obey a stranger? It's just rude.

Because as soon as they know your dog's name, the first thing they do is start ordering your dog around to see if it's trained. "Sit, Lassie, Sit! Shake! Shake, Lassie!" Telling strangers your dog's name is like giving them the keys to your car. Why should my dog obey a stranger? It's just rude.
That makes sense I suppose although I must say I’ve never run into that issue myself hahah I must be lucky 🙈 I will say though that I’ve heard of a similar thing where you just teach the dog different commands than most people use. So for example, instead of down maybe do the German version platz or just do like… banana or something wild and crazy 😂 that way they can’t command them cause he doesn’t know sit, he knows banana 😉 similar effect aha although for me I never ended up doing that but yeah. Point being I do get it but I’m thankful I haven’t had the issue and most people have just asked in passing anyway but yeah.

Back
Top Bottom