English Shepherd as Poultry Guardian

Pics
Video below is more a test to see if I can do it with new lower end computer. Was an attempt to stage what dogs do when coyotes approach from brushy field shown at end of video.

[VIDEO]

It was me. I also never tried prior to get them interested in something I could not see myself. The dogs are not easily fooled. They must require real scent, visual and vocal cues coming from coyotes.

I just finished reading the whole thread...While I have a pack of 1 pure Caucasian Ovcharka and 7 of her adult offspring from a cross to my Blue Heeler that I allow to run free from the time the chickens go to roost 'til I release them at about 8 in the AM...I still keep a .22 Mag rifle in every vehicle and same cal. pistol on my belt. The fire arms are rarely needed but I can see where they could have perhaps stopped a bunch of trouble for centrachid and family.

If I didn't have these powerful dogs to take care of whatever threatens my stock, I'd utilize the weapons on a regular basis. Those 5 or 6 dogs mentioned in this thread so far would have been killed on the spot when they crossed onto my property....no matter that they didn't show any aggression while you were looking. They represented a grave threat to your livestock and perhaps you, your wife and children as well. Dead, Dead, Done.

Hellbender

aka RON

I am similarly outfitted and better when it comes to firearms, and have used them with lethal effect on dogs in the past. Still not a practical approach when used alone. The overwhelming reality is you have to be present and in position to shoot the offending dog(s). On several occasions I have openly packed rifle anticipating a chance to shoot additional dogs. The bad dogs simply do not have a schedule that makes my job easy when I have another job that must be done to put food on table.

I have just finished reading through your thread with great interest....we have 2 ES's, a 5 year old female and a 2 y/o male. They have been great additions to our place and although the male can still act like a court jester once in awhile they are all business when it comes to anything stepping foot on their property or flying overhead. I have found they are incredibly intelligent and are prone to observe and calculate to handle some situations, the male definitely took longer to mature, I think our female was born a mature worrier!
I have had a lot of success with using simple key phrases or words to focus their attention, especially with the male. I repeat the phrase 'watch it' when something was out of the ordinary, the female didn't need it, but by repeating it when the female was onto something allowed me to get the same reaction/attention from the male even when the female wasn't present, another phrase used is 'where is it'.
They are great varmit dogs and have eliminated any incursions from the neighbors garbage dump also.

My mother also has a male (half brother to my female, same age) on her farm and he really came into his own around 16-18 months, he is a dark sable like your boy and is truly an impressive dog which can take on about anything in our area except bear.
I believe you will find your time and effort will be well rewarded with this breed.

The pup is learning how to navigate doors with lever latches. This not provide benefits around poultry but is indicative he has capacity for that type of learning. I am still concerned about his ultimate size as he is only 40 lbs currently. I really want him to mature at 60+ lbs. Fences will be restored to dog-tight by end of this week but larger Ben will have more credibility with coyotes that can also defeat fences like my dogs can. All dogs I have had respond to a range of verbal and postured commands and he is learning that as well. That sort of communication requires time and lots of actual effort.

I figured out Ben's color-type. He is brindle on a sable base. Neither term alone provides accurate description. He also lacks the pied pattern many English Shepherds exhibit.

Back
Top Bottom