English Shepherd as Poultry Guardian

Pics
Ben got in on his first predator kill I am aware of. Ben encountered a large tom cat in field behind house which stood its ground apparently realizing Ben's youthfulness. Ben starting barking from about 10 feet and cat even started to back Ben off. During this crucial time cat was causing its end because Lucy was quietly sprinting in from about 150 yards away. By time cat realized Lucy was there escape to a tree was no longer an option. Briefly cat defended itself from dogs that worked it from opposite directions but Lucy did not back away each time it faced her while Ben did a little. Result was Lucy got on top of cat in a manner cat did not know what was going on until Lucy launched her actual attack. Cat was dispatched in less than 10 seconds with Ben likely causing damage at end of fight. Lucy has taken the role Scoob had as the big gun while Ben is the distraction.

Our cats have no problems with our dogs and have had issue with this cat in the past as it would attack them on occasion

Next likely challenge will be a raccoon although we have seen very little activity from them even when forays made into woods well beyond where chickens are kept. Encounters with them likely to be in field and that may pick up when the trailer court to our northwest is vacated within the next month or so. The trailer court is a known refuge from my dogs and supply of food for raccoons.

Next likely challenge will be a raccoon although we have seen very little activity from them even when forays made into woods well beyond where chickens are kept. Encounters with them likely to be in field and that may pick up when the trailer court to our northwest is vacated within the next month or so. The trailer court is a known refuge from my dogs and supply of food for raccoons.
Is the trailer court going to be demo'd? If so, be prepared for rats amongst other awful things. I would find out if the are going to put out poison and be on the look out for secondary poisonings to your animals. We almost lost a good dog when the camp next to us put out poison before demoing cabins (a requirement of the county) and our dog ate a dyeing rat.

Last edited:
My guess is occupants will simply remove trailers leaving only concrete pads and hook-ups. Rats do not appear to be abundant at thus time and when they have are not the typical commensal species, rather they are cotton or rice rats which is native. We have wood rats in woods but they are not abundant enough to be a problem. The occupants will likely leave some additional cats and even dogs.

Pup birth date is May 10, 2015. Sire is Dreamcatcher's Duke and dam is Dreamcatcher's Daisy Mae.
I have Dreamcatcher Daisy's Brother in Wv.

Back
Top Bottom