English Shepherd as Poultry Guardian

Pics
Glow collar?

Someone gave me a glow light pendant that hangs from tag loop on collar, it's very cool for seeing my dark colored dog out in the yard at night.
Runs off little flat lithium battery, easy click on off, either steady light or constant.
But it almost throws off too much light and it can be blocked by the dogs body, I wonder if it effects his 'night vision'.
It doesn't seem to bother him and I've learned he doesn't really wander much, old boy just goes out and pees and comes right back in.

Anyway, looked into a glow collar instead and they are out there...but again don't know if it would interfere with dogs vision or maybe make it a target or be a warning to stay away. Just a thought.

I may try something like that but seeing him easily may not prove to be that big of a deal. Lucy has high visibility and next English Shepherd will be of the sort that is easier to see. Ben is doing really well now.

Last night we had a cold front come though that in itself seems to shut down predators. Lucy came into house for bulk of nigh and slept on old couch in the parlor near front door. She was in continuous vocal contact with Ben that still patrolled immediate vicinity of the house. He barked numerous times with Lucy boiling out dog door each time. He was out reacting to stimuli being blown in from some distance away that normally would not be a concern. His communications with Lucy and now me are getting better every day and he is no lap dog.

Now Ben is starting to sleep in porch and Lucy will soon take lead patrolling before both sleep a couple of hours. I like a dog out around dawn as that is time chickens, especially hungry one when free-range are particularly vulnerable. Most not currently free-range.

Maybe just a big wide white/light colored and/or reflective collar?
Probably doesn't matter most the time, but when it does.... would sure be nice.

Glad to hear things are going well.

Ben is exhibiting a lot of allogrooming. He and Lucy pick up sticktights and the like which Ben then removes from Lucy. I have not seen it but Lucy likely reciprocates as Ben's coat gets cleaned up even in in locations he can not reach with his mouth.

Ben is exhibiting a lot of allogrooming. He and Lucy pick up sticktights and the like which Ben then removes from Lucy. I have not seen it but Lucy likely reciprocates as Ben's coat gets cleaned up even in in locations he can not reach with his mouth.
I had heard the phrase 'teflon coat' in reference to ES's, but didn't realize how true it was until I spent some time with them. My female has the rougher, longer coat and my male the smoother coat, but both seem to clean up amazingly well and in short order. They are both very conscientious about grooming also.

I think they invest more relative to other medium haired dogs when it comes to removing foreign materials from their coats. My Short-haired German Pointer had much less trouble keeping his coat clean because the seeds were much easier to remove from his coat.

This dog is the least photogenic critter I have ever worked with. Darn owl behind was more willing.

Cool weather front that came in two nights ago has caused a change in dogs. They are patrolling a lot more and even gave some juvenile chickens a hard time before I intervened. Pups still has a way to go. Dynamic interactions with neighbors Australian Shepherd has changed. Ben and Lucy clearly dominate him now. Ben seems more play oriented but Lucy, despite being smaller than Australian Shepherd is very willing to go after him when he is focused on Ben. The Australian Shepherd now stays clear of property boundary he was crossing since loss of Scoob.

Back
Top Bottom