English Shepherd as Poultry Guardian

Pics
First observed tie between Honey and Ben occurred about 0600 when dogs released to relieve themselves. We are currently down to two older female dogs and only one, Lucy, is dedicated. Must keep on top of fencing and traps until breeders fall back to being workers again.

Dogs mating about every couple of hours. Presenting a major opportunity to educate kids about birds and the bees. Today a mating occurred in driveway. Kids raced over to see what was going on. About 20 chickens saw kids running and followed resulting in mating dogs surrounded by chickens and kids. Kids lifted dogs' tails to see what was going on as they could not figure out how the dogs where stuck together butt to butt. Then my daughter of six asked the following, "is that how people do it?"

I have work to do in the coming weeks and years.

Dogs mating about every couple of hours. Presenting a major opportunity to educate kids about birds and the bees. Today a mating occurred in driveway. Kids raced over to see what was going on. About 20 chickens saw kids running and followed resulting in mating dogs surrounded by chickens and kids. Kids lifted dogs' tails to see what was going on as they could not figure out how the dogs where stuck together butt to butt. Then my daughter of six asked the following, "is that how people do it?"

I have work to do in the coming weeks and years.

:lau :gig :lau

OMG! Priceless. :lau :gig

I am sure it is funny from a distance. For me, well, it is going to require some serious thinking before opening my mouth. My grandfather was very thorough in teaching me, but he got things into my head that came out at dinner table that got us both in trouble. Hogs were the main examples he used.

It appears the mating phase of puppy making is about over. Honey and Ben no sleeping and more than not able to see each other directly. They went 4 days with any real sleeping as far as I can tell. Soon we will be back up to strength as Lucy has been doing almost all the work alone. Exception to that had a bunch of young games in road when a neighbors visitors were driving by. Chickens got noisy and Honey ran through flock to get after car for a good couple barks at it. Neighbors driving by must think we are more than a little off. We spend time outside and have chickens, including hens with chicks all over the place with dogs, cats and kids also running amok.

Viewing house from east. Honey and Ben patrolling but not really doing much.
20190901_082150_HDR.jpg

Ben sniffing and Honey raising tail over to side saying she is ready.
20190901_082158.jpg

Running around rose of sharon as daughter skips by. Anybody want a cat named "Angel"?
20190901_082211_HDR.jpg

Dogs where I was standing moments before. Always close together.
20190901_082408.jpg

Daughter watched dogs when I was not to make certain they stayed around and no other dogs came in. Not single male dog came in the whole time Honey has been in heat. A major surprise.
20190901_110909_HDR.jpg

A mating bout underway.
20190901_111421.jpg

Tie also enabling comparison of coloration. They like to make in one location more than any other.
20190901_111623.jpg

Back
Top Bottom