English Shepherd as Poultry Guardian

Pics
Ben is back in the rotation. Enough with the howling and barking. I am seeing subtle changes in Honey making me think she is gestating. She was already the dominant female and still is when contesting a resource but otherwise she acts all submissive at times wagging her tail in everyone else's face.

Roosters are crowing like crazy with full moon and mild temperature. Some of the older gamecocks in deeper part of molt are crowing very little.

A fox made an incursion from east and quickly bounced out. It was likely not after chickens specifically and all were penned except hen with chicks by front porch. Ben literally lays although not asleep within ten feet of the hen and her brood.

Dog proof is currently 9/9; live trap 2/6.

Large male raccoon pushing 20 lbs. Big and handsome. Dispatched. Taken in northwest corner outside perimeter fencing.
20190924_164601.jpg

Also found a partially eaten Cuckoo. Appears young of year. Bird must have been heavy in life.
20190924_164545.jpg

I do not know what killed it. More than one critter messed with it, including dogs. Dogs normally eat such finds. I bet it tastes nasty owing to all the toxic caterpillars cuckoos eat.

Wife saw if first near son's bedroom window. Then it appeared in front yard where dogs like to stock pile items.

I'm glad to read about the success folks have had with English Shepherds and their flocks. We have many chicken predators in our area but I haven't touched my rifle since Sadie and Kep have started full time yard duty.

This year we have lost 2 birds to hawks but the first was when the dogs were still very young and the second was when we were away for the day. The 2nd loss was a rooster so no tears there. Now however, the dogs have learned to watch overhead for threats as well as in/around the yard.

Also, when we first started working with the dogs we had to keep a close eye and strict discipline in place to keep them from "nosing/licking" or "playing" with the chickens.

Now, at about 10 months old, they're pretty much on auto pilot.
dogs.JPG

Honey becoming more aggressive to other dogs, including Ben. Ben also tries to be close to her. Around humans she is becoming more interested in being petted. She spent some time checking out doghouse in barn yesterday and overnight according to game camera.

These dogs also getting into going after owls in the evening. No owl action on cameras meaning they are not coming into barn. Hawks are not coming into barn while I am around. Songbirds said a bird eating hawk was around while I was out, but I could not find it. Chickens not showing behavioral changes I expect with hawk pressure.

Honey becoming more aggressive to other dogs, including Ben. Ben also tries to be close to her. Around humans she is becoming more interested in being petted. She spent some time checking out doghouse in barn yesterday and overnight according to game camera.
When is she due to welp?
I assume your are sure she's preggers.

Back
Top Bottom