English Shepherd as Poultry Guardian

Pics
Honey is trying for a compromise I guess. May take some practice before damage to birds is minimized. Dogs are only critters I know that can stop two game roosters from fighting. The stag / cockerel is now making sounds like an immature bird. It may take a while before he is interested in doing a pitched battle.

Yeah, the feather damage definitely isn’t ideal but I still think it’s amazing she didn’t kill him. :) I once heard of another dog laying on the bird to keep him still lol hope he recovers quickly!!! Is he wounded or just feather damage?

Yeah, the feather damage definitely isn’t ideal but I still think it’s amazing she didn’t kill him. :) I once heard of another dog laying on the bird to keep him still lol hope he recovers quickly!!! Is he wounded or just feather damage?
Very modest wounding. Will take photographs tomorrow. Based on feathers left on ground, she first tried to carry bird by wing, then switched to tail and body. Healing should be complete.

Very poor image of my tailess American Kestrel. Pointing thing in back are wings, not tail.
IMG_0041.jpg

Pups separated to two pens. Hopefully will make for less discord. Neighbor's dogs making far more noise.

I have a English Shepherd and he is the best dog ever. he dosent bite the chickens and guards them well. he scares away all sorts of predators... even hawks. he will chase them away while they are still in the air 😝. he was a little rambunctious when her was a puppy but once we got him neutered he was perfect. he guards well against snakes, birds of prey, racoons, deer, rabbits, and foxes. can not tell you how much I recommend English shepherds.

Pups are destroying hotwire setup used during production season. Little bass turds seem to have fun running into the multiple filament wire and flopping over it.

It got real fun when we went back into barn to be penned for night and some chickens came down to try and eat dog feed. Chickens were running in and out as I tried to get pups in. If a chicken went in, then I had to juggle pup while trying to get chicken out and that really stretches you with a hyper pup in hand.

The biggest headache when dealing with these smart alecs are that they are easily bored and always looking for ways to be entertained or ways to get around restrictions when they are young. Thank goodness they seem to grow out of it...though Dillon still gets sneaky sometimes when he really wants something.

Mindy got possum #3 for the winter, a good sized Male. Much simpler to let her get them than for me to shoot a moving target.

The biggest headache when dealing with these smart alecs are that they are easily bored and always looking for ways to be entertained or ways to get around restrictions when they are young. Thank goodness they seem to grow out of it...though Dillon still gets sneaky sometimes when he really wants something.

Mindy got possum #3 for the winter, a good sized Male. Much simpler to let her get them than for me to shoot a moving target.
I am no seeing no predators of any sort, the longest time I have seen since we moved here. I can leave a plate of leftover chicken bones and it will not be touched if dogs cannot get to it.

Back
Top Bottom