Enlarged area below the Vent discovery and results

ontheFarm123

Hatching
Jun 1, 2022
Hello Everyone,

I have looked at a couple of posts on this and wanted to let people know of my findings. Goober was approximately 3 years old, had a leg deformity on one claw ( caused her to hobbled since birth like a penguin) she was very talkative too. She has laid some soft eggs before where it was not fully developed when she laid it. In a span of 11 days she became lethargic, had an enlarged rear under her vent ( but no egg could be felt), loss of appetite and lack of drinking, which ended with her untimely death.

Here is a list of events that occurred from original notice of the issue:

1. May 22nd Goober started showing signs of lethargy, she was still moving around but was not as active as the other girls. This particular hen has been known to have some problems, she had a deformity in her feet and she hobbled and sometimes she was prone to getting her because of it. She is also known to have laid soft eggs
2.May 23rd I checked her body for injuries and any abnormalities. Her droppings were liquidly but not overly odd. Her bottom was a little messy ( this happened to her sometimes as she would sit in the bottom of the coop) She was not separated out from the other girls as she often gets more stress when away from her flock.
3. May 24th no extra change from day 1
4. May 25th I checked her body again, thinking it could be egg bound as she had not laid and egg ( that I knew off) . I noticed a slight roundness to her rear ( below the vent) but nothing major, i thought it might be swollen due to laying on the ground in the coop. I noticed Light panting and gaping her mouth.
5. . May 27th she grew more lethargic and was no longer eating treats when I approached her, her eyes started getting droopy and she would lay on her side. She was still panting and I noticed her vent was pulsing, like she was trying to lay and egg.
6. May 28th I put her in warm water just in case with epsom salt to see if maybe she was egg bound and I just didn't notice. I also used olive oil around her vent and checked for an egg by sticking a finger in her vent ( about 2 inches) but did not feel and egg. I put her in a separate cage/house away from the other hens. Note: she did not get pecked at all from the other hens they all seemed well and normal. I Gave her soft food and pellets and gave her fresh water with garlic and oregano. ( i had read that Garlic and Oregano might help. Her Bottom was more enlarged, still Panting and gasping, with her vent pulsing like she was straining to lay something. I thought maybe she was too weak because she wasn't eating
7. May 29th. I gave her another warm epson salt bath to soak her bum for 15 -20 mins and then used olive oil to checked her vent again. Still nothing and the Swelling on her her bottom was larger
8. May 30th she seemed about the same. I did not give her another bath as it seemed to stress her out, but felt her bottom and still no egg felt. The welling was pretty she no longer laid down on her feet but more laid on her side.
9. June 1st. She seemed weaker, not alert when looking at me, did not touch her food from the day before and looked to have not moved since the night before when I checked her. Shortly after I came to check on her again, and she had passed.

Symptoms :
1. Lethargic
2. Did not eat as much
3. Drake but not a lot
4. Did not lay eggs
5. Droppings were liquidly and was a bit messy along her bottom

I know this may be hard for some, but I wanted to know if she was egg bound, had peritonitis or if it was an illness that took her. More than anything I wanted to help someone else if this happened to them. I completed an autopsy of her by opening up the area in her bottom. It seemed to be Peritonitis as there was layer of yolk after yolk after yolk.

EDIT
_____
Coach723 and Eggsessive offered a better diagnosis of "salpingitis" and "salpingitis and egg yolk peritonitis". and It seems to be more accurate that just peritonitis. Thank you!

I know some of you may not want to see this but for those who are looking for answers you may want to see images of what it looks like.

1654129278677.jpeg

This is cutting threw all the layers
1654129265909.jpeg

I regret that I could not help her and that she was suffering until the end. I hope this helps someone and I wish you luck. We all love our chickens very much!

Last edited:
Sorry for your loss. It looks like your hen suffered from salpingitis and egg yolk peritonitis, many times caused by E.coli. Here is a good article:
https://vcahospitals.com/know-your-pet/egg-yolk-peritonitis-in-backyard-chickens
That is probably actually salpingitis. That is lash material that looks like layers of cooked egg. More on salpingitis here:
https://the-chicken-chick.com/poultry-lice-and-mites-identification/
It's good that you took a look, so you know for sure what happened.
Thank you for the info. I appreciate it. I didn't want to autopsy her but I had to know if it was just her or if any of my other chickens could have it and to learn, to see if I could of done things differently.

If I am not sure if e.coli is the cause should I stop eating the other hens eggs? is there anything that I should look out for?

Back
Top Bottom