Enough already! Get off her!

mrandmrschicken

Songster
11 Years
Sep 14, 2008
NW IA
In a nutshell:
Have a Serama cock and pullet. They are breeding. Introed another pullet. Pullet 1 began picking at pullet 2's feathers, and pushed her in to the corner. 2, is very submissive to 1. Cock tries to mate with 2 but she ignores him, mating unsuccessful. Pullet 1 has been pecking at the cock also. I also suspect 1 of pulling out her own feathers and eating them. They get layer pellets and treats. Removed 1 from pen with 2 and cock, for one night and half of yesterday. 1 seems very happy by herself! Even laid her second egg. 2, and cock get along okay. He shows off but she does not accept his advances.
Yesterday afternoon, I let 1, 2 and cock out for some running around. Cock was on top of 1 lickity split. This continued about every two minutes until even I was embarrassed! Put 1 back in her own pen, 2 and cock in the same pen. Cock was agitated, (ripping up paper, chatty and, acting like a tough guy).
Is it normal for them to mate with such... frequency? How long will it take for 2 to be open and stand up for herself? Is the feather pulling and pecking a normal problem? When should I be concerned?

We were sitting outside the other day and my alpha roo mated 5 hens in 15 minutes. I told him to knock it off, but of course he didn't listen. *heavy sigh*
They do go thru an adjustment period when a new one is introduced and they have to reset the pecking order. If at all possible, seperate #2 where they can see her but not get to her for awhile. After re-introduction there is going to be so pecking going on. Just watch and as long as nobody is drawing blood I'd let them figure it out for themselves.

Yes roo's seem to be very aggressive and they mate often. Mine are young and just learning but we have a couple older roo's who are showing how to win a girl's heart. Slowly they are learning and on some days when the testorone is high we seperate the boys from each other so the girls can have some peace.LOL

Back
Top Bottom