1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Enough sense to come in outa the rain?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ella g, Feb 11, 2009.

1. ella g

ella g New Egg

Aug 7, 2008
    It's raining here in CA and all 5 girls (8 months old) are out pecking and scratching in the mud. They're all soaked. Do you let them do as they wish or do you lock them up?

2. moduckman

moduckman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2009
    Cairo, Missouri
    They should be fine.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2009
  3. Chicken LOVE the rain. Let em go. They have more sense than you think. The wives tale that states they will drown in the rain it just that.

I can not keep my birds in the barn on a fairly decent yet rainy day. They scratch for worms and bugs that come up from the ground because of the water soaked soil.

4. CBee

CBee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2008
    Asheville, NC
    Yeah my chickens were out in the raining-cats-and-dogs kind of rain just a couple hours ago. They were soaked to the bone, but I think they kinda like it. (Except for my silkie. He hates the rain, he only stays out because the girls stay out.) They like to scratch around for worms in the mud. [​IMG]

I say as long as they have a nice, warm, dry place to settle in after they are out, they should be fine.

5. lichick28

lichick28 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2008
    LONG ISLAND, NEW YORK
    We live in NY and have silkies so I dont let them out when it rains this time of year

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by