Enough Space???

Sarahmacc1

Chirping
May 1, 2022
Michigan
My Coop
My Coop
So I didn’t realize how fast chicks grow! We are at just over two weeks and I feel my large rabbit cage is too small?

This was them last week and they seem to have doubled since then!

DBB281B5-4ABA-44D0-A33D-EF7FD9D8BC09.jpeg

Also is straw bedding a no? Mine is disappearing so I assume they are eating it?

I agree that your setup looks like it would be too cramped for 2 week old chicks. The rule of thumb that I have heard and has worked well for me is .5 sq. foot per chick for chicks up to two weeks old and 1 sq. foot per chick for chicks up to 4-5 weeks old.

I use pine shavings, but haven't tried straw before.

Looks like it’s time to build the coop this weekend! Or find something to put them in in the interim. Should have come to BYC first, my research on other sites showed a fish tank and then rabbit cage. Once I upgraded to the rabbit cage they could fit right through! So had to build cardboard walls. But week 3 and def need to upgrade again! Wow!

Looks like it’s time to build the coop this weekend! Or find something to put them in in the interim. Should have come to BYC first, my research on other sites showed a fish tank and then rabbit cage. Once I upgraded to the rabbit cage they could fit right through! So had to build cardboard walls. But week 3 and def need to upgrade again! Wow!
They grow so fast! I have had pretty good luck with a makeshift brooder with walls made out of a few large cardboard boxes cut up and fastened together and a floor made out of a contractors bag with cardboard underneath and pine shavings on top. It's not the prettiest but it works!

Okay we finally upgraded. After multiple attempts at DIY, just got a stock tank with a heavy shelving as a top.

I just couldn't bring myself to move them over to our screened in porch to anything that isn't predator proof.

Was also thinking moving them to their coop wasn't a good idea because I haven't got them accustomed to the dark and there is very little light there.

Love the new set up at least. Chicks are a bit stressed from the move but hoping they explore soon.

Last project will be building a large perch.

Let me know if I am missing anything!

Attachments

• PXL_20220519_210502243.jpg
    PXL_20220519_210502243.jpg
    722.2 KB · Views: 2
  • PXL_20220519_202846272.jpg
    PXL_20220519_202846272.jpg
    604 KB · Views: 3
  • PXL_20220519_210010340.jpg
    PXL_20220519_210010340.jpg
    560.1 KB · Views: 3

Back