Enough Water/Butt Issues?

mpostlind

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 16, 2012
Virginia
I bought 6 "Miniature Bantam Chickens" from Tractor Supply about a week ago. The night after we got them, one of them was found crying and flailing in the water bowl. Since then, we've kept a shallow plate of water and constant food in their steel tub. Today, I discovered 3 of them had a large clump of poop covering their butt. I got it off, but I was wondering what is causing this. I put in a larger water dispenser and removed the food for a while. What should I do?

It might've been pasty butt. It seems to happen a lot with chicks. If you're having trouble getting the poop off at all, dip their butts in a bit of warm water.
It can be a problem if it isn't cleaned, so you did the right thing taking it off. I've heard a suggestion to provide sand for the chicks to eat, which would help them along.

(Alternatively, you could use one of those hanging waterers, to your shallow dish, as those are not easy to fall into either.)

Last edited:
Where they are (inside) right now, we cant have a hanging waterer, so we've just been watching them a little more closely. The box they came in from Tractor Supply said to give them water before feeding, but a website online said to have food available constantly for them. I'm not sure what's the best course of action for them regarding food/water. Also, what is pasty butt?

Ah okay, I see. Food and water avilable 24/7 will do them fine, they won't eat or drink more than they need. My chickens don't even look at the food when they're full. But that way there'll always be something there for them if they need it.

Pasty butt is... I can't find my words. Let me provide some links, maybe that'll help. It's basically poop, blocking up the rear end.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/165945/what-causes-pasty-butt

Give them food and water 24/7. It is pasty butt, and they get it from all the stress of being shipped and handled by a bunch of people in a store. It was good to get the poo off. It can crust over the vent and block them up, which will kill them. It will pass, once they get comfy and used to you and your routine. Good luck, enjoy your new babies :)

Edited to add: you can sit your waterer up on a brick or block of wood, about the level of their back, to keep them from falling into it and getting it dirty...

Last edited:
I agree with the others. It sounds like the pasty butt. I have a chick getting over pasty butt right now. Just get the poop off with warm water and apply olive oil or neosporin around its vent and it will prevent the poop from sticking their feathers. Getting the poop off may cause their bottoms to become a little bare but it's okay. They may also try to clean it themselves and may pull some feathers out in the process. This can come from too high of a temperature or stress. Adding some grit to their food can help and a Baby Cake has been said to help also. I just recently got one and my chicks love it and its a good source of vitamins for them. Good luck to you and your chicks!!

Back
Top Bottom