enough water from nipples?

Oregonchix

In the Brooder
5 Years
Feb 27, 2014
My 8 week old chicks are spending the days outside in their coop/run but I have been bringing them inside at nights to sleep in their brooder box in my garage. I have a waterer in the run outside with those chicken nipples and I see them drinking out of it.

However, when I bring them inside for the night they all (5 of them!) rush to the waterer in the brooder, which is a standard one with the bottle upside down in a tray, and drink like they are all really thirsty.

Do they get enough water from the nipple type? Pretty soon--like in the next day or so--they will be transferring to the outside coop and run and I want to use the nipple one exclusively as the water stays so much cleaner.

One other question: I have been putting a little apple cider vinegar in the waterer in the brooder as I read that was good for chicks. The nipples have some metal parts (standard poultry nipples) so I'm thinking the acv might not be good for the metal and it might corrode. Any ideas on that?

They will get all the water they need you have to remove all other water sources, it's either one or the other, the nipples have stainless steel which is fine with the acv anything galvanized will cause problems.

My 8 week old chicks are spending the days outside in their coop/run but I have been bringing them inside at nights to sleep in their brooder box in my garage. I have a waterer in the run outside with those chicken nipples and I see them drinking out of it.

However, when I bring them inside for the night they all (5 of them!) rush to the waterer in the brooder, which is a standard one with the bottle upside down in a tray, and drink like they are all really thirsty.

Do they get enough water from the nipple type? Pretty soon--like in the next day or so--they will be transferring to the outside coop and run and I want to use the nipple one exclusively as the water stays so much cleaner.

One other question: I have been putting a little apple cider vinegar in the waterer in the brooder as I read that was good for chicks. The nipples have some metal parts (standard poultry nipples) so I'm thinking the acv might not be good for the metal and it might corrode. Any ideas on that?
ACV is okay except for during heat waves. You want to give them plain water when it's really hot.

My chickens always act as if they haven't had anything to drink when confronted with a new water source. They drink out of the dogs' bucket, then rush over to the big flower pot to drink. The water in the bucket is clean. Maybe the flower pot water has a special component I don't recognize. When in the run, they beat up the nipples until they get to go out.

Chris

They always act that way with food or water. If you don't believe it make sure they have plenty of water. Find the nastiest place in you run and make a puddle. Or make sure they have plenty of food then give them a slice of bread. That is just a chicken thing!!!! LOL

I too was worried about them getting enough water when switching to nipples.

They've been on them for 4 weeks now (with no other water source) and seem fine. I would assume 6 week old chicks would show signs of dehydration or death if they hadn't been getting enough to drink for 2/3 of their entire life :)

Thank you to everyone with comments! They just seem so desperate when given a dish of water.

Back
Top Bottom