Entertaining ducks in the winter

Joyce61

Chirping
6 Years
May 30, 2013
Maine
Hi! This is my first winter with ducks. I live in Maine and have 2 ducks, a Pekin & Mallard. It's already very cold, some days staying below freezing. On those days I keep the boys inside their coop. It's very large so they must enjoy having room to walk around but I'm wondering if they get bored? Is there anything I could do for them to keep them entertained? My husband thinks I'm crazy to worry about them, but they are so sweet and I want to make them happy!

Do they come out in a run? Or do you keep water inside the coop? You could sprinkle grains around so they have to forage thru their bedding , hang a head of cabbage out. For them to nibble on. They will need water if you put down grains to forage.

They go out to a fenced in yard when the temp. is above freezing. But in Maine in winter we have lots of days that are below freezing so they will spend plenty of days inside. They do have water inside on a heated base. I like your ideas of the cabbage and sprinkling grains around for them to find mixed in with the hay that's on the ground. Thanks!

I just got this little toy - Lixit Chicken Toy - I fill it with meal worms (you could do seeds too) and it keeps them entertained!

51FAUAdjlrL._SL1065_.jpg

From what I've read, they can get frost bite if it's below a freezing temp.
Just wondering where you read that about the frostbite? Most frostbite doesn't occur due to the animals being out in the cold, but it occurs when they are cooped up without proper ventilation. Unless the animal is left out without being able to get out of the cold and wind if needed. But, I am always one for reading and researching- so if you have other info to share, I would be happy to read it. Thanks.

Oh and mine enjoyed playing and picking at a cob of field corn that I threw in their run from the field the other day. Sometimes it is the simplest things that they entertain themselves with.

Back
Top Bottom