Entice ducks to property

ElleMc

Songster
Apr 17, 2017
Southaven, MS
Hey all! I have kind of a weird problem. I live on a shared pond. Every day I let my ducks out on the pond and they have taken to laying their eggs in the neighbor's yard. The neighbor hasn't complained but my hubby tells me I can't go onto my neighbor's property to get the eggs. They also tend to hang out on another neighbor's part of the pond. Like I said, no one has complained so fortunately, that's not the problem. But do you have any ideas on how I can entice them to hang on my section of the pond instead of the neighbors'? I originally kept my part of the pond wild, but they seem to prefer the manicured area so we have cleaned our area and planted grass. Any ideas of the types of plants they might like? Also, I was thinking of putting up a parachute awning between the trees to make more shade. Do you think that would help?
TIA!

x2 on Bekahhs comment, my ducks stay in until 6:50-7:00ish by then they’ve both laid their eggs. Today threw them off when I came out an hour early though lol

You could probably talk to your neighbor and ask if you can gather the eggs and offer them some too (my two produce far more than I will ever need)

Maybe this is just me but honestly, if the neighbor doesn’t care, then I wouldn’t care what your husband says and would just go get them anyway. I mean, it’s the neighbor’s property, not hubby’s, and if he says it’s fine, I’d go by that. Not like you’re hanging out on the neighbor’s property or anything.

I'd be more worried about predators. a duck wandering a neighborhood looking for a place to lay is just asking to be killed.

That is very true too!! Although from the sounds of it, it sounds like they are only let out during the day and penned at night? So hopefully it would be safe being during the day and in a residential neighborhood but there are definitely predators even in those situations!!

Back
Top Bottom