Enticing chicks to come outside of the coop.

michaelbell317

Chirping
Feb 26, 2019
Longmont, CO
My Coop
My Coop
So, our chicks have now been kept inside the coop for 1 1/2 weeks. The last couple of days, I've been opening their door to allow them access to their (well protected) run area. The chicks have peeked through the opening, but nobody has yet ventured down their ramp/ladder to come outside. I'm in no rush, but we are getting anxious to see them outside in their run. We've had them outside in a wire dog crate a couple of times, but that was before they moved into the coop. Should I go so far as to lure them out with food treats or even to "put" them outside of the coop into the run and see if they find their way back inside? I'm not looking to traumatize them or anything, but they'd like some outside time, right?

Usually it takes one daring one to come out and the others will follow. If you have a ramp or what not coming out of the coop, put a trail of meal worms and see if they'll come down. You can use any treat that you want.

Is the food and water in the coop? You could also move that to the run area and when they get thirsty or hungry they'll come down

Usually it takes one daring one to come out and the others will follow. If you have a ramp or what not coming out of the coop, put a trail of meal worms and see if they'll come down. You can use any treat that you want.

Is the food and water in the coop? You could also move that to the run area and when they get thirsty or hungry they'll come down

We've kept them supplied with food and water inside the coop, yes. We've set snacks, fruit they really like, in a dish right by their door to the run and they've stayed there eating and looking out, but even our bravest girl hasn't ventured out yet. They even have a similar ramp inside the coop that leads them up to a couple of roosts. They've all used that ramp and the one outside is identical, just larger.

We've kept them supplied with food and water inside the coop, yes. We've set snacks, fruit they really like, in a dish right by their door to the run and they've stayed there eating and looking out, but even our bravest girl hasn't ventured out yet. They even have a similar ramp inside the coop that leads them up to a couple of roosts. They've all used that ramp and the one outside is identical, just larger.
I have 2 week old chicks outside because the weather is hot where I am... I basically took one chick out of the coop and put it on the ramp, it ran down and the others followed. I'm not sure how much you've handled your chicks, but taking them out won't traumatize them if they're used to you. If they aren't used to you then it might be a bit traumatizing having a hand reaching in their coop.

Back
Top Bottom