Entire flock found dead UPDATE post 23

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by lizrndiver, Dec 7, 2012.

1. lizrndiver

lizrndiver Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    South Beloit, IL
    My husband and I just redid our entire fenced run area. We changed out cattle fencing for 1 X 2 welded wire that was buried in the ground and went up 6 feet,

We have occasionally had problems with all varieties of predators, but usually only one or two hens was killed.

At this time I had a flock of 24 hens and 1 rooster. I came home from work to find the entire flock dead inside the run. No obvious breaches in the fencing. It was about 30 minutes after dusk.

The hens were stiff so I guess they had been dead a while.

Only one or tow even shows any marks or signs of being eaten.

There were some around the water, but most were scattered around the pen. One was in the coop still.

I just don't know what would do this to an entire flock. No way a dog or coyote could have gotten in.

Any thoughts?

Liz

2. frostbite

frostbite Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2011
    Fairbanks, Alaska
    hawks, owls, eagles, can come in from above, crafty raccoons could climb the fence perhaps. Odd they didn't find your flock earlier. I'm so sorry, that's quite a devastating loss! It can happen any time, to anyone. It's hard to build a fort knox, the predators out there are persistent, especially when they're hungry.

3. lizrndiver

Jul 30, 2009
    South Beloit, IL
    Would owls kill and leave chickens? I did hear an owl tonight.

25 chickens seems like a lot for an owl though.

4. Sahwithchicks

Sahwithchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2012
    Central FL
    It sounds more like a coon to me, though usually for me they strike at night... I've had coons kill 5 a night just to eat one or two, and just kill the others for fun, I guess. That is a lot of birds for any thing to kill all at once. I am so sorry!

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Weasel comes to my mind. I have no personal experience with them, but they'd easily fit through that size fencing and I hear they're blood thirsty little buggers. One of the few animals that kill just for killing, not just for food.

6. Roxannemc

Roxannemc Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2012
    SE Missouri
    Actaully dontt know how high your fence is but really sounds like a dog or 2 Wild animals kill to eat usually .an entire flock that was for fun.Beagles can climb a fence not sure if they can climb a really high one
    Wonder if coyotes can clinb?

7. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

Is the pen covered? If there was no cover it could easily have been a coon, fox, even coyote. 6 foot fence is easy for all those things, and more, to get over.

8. kacky

kacky Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2012
    Prince George, Virginia
    Sound like it is most likely a mink or other weasel. We once had a mother and her baby get into a pen and kill over 20 ornamental ducks. They do not eat but a little of what they kill and they will come back to their kills. Look for a tiny puncture hole in the top of the head or around the neck or face. Also the fact that many of them were around water sounds like mink as they can swim very well and they also have a habit of pileing their kills up in one place. They can be trapped we caught ours in the same day as they killed our birds. Good Luck!

9. lizrndiver

Jul 30, 2009
    South Beloit, IL
    How did you trap it?

10. t8562005

t8562005 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 14, 2012
    What kacky and donrae said it was a mink or a weasel.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by