Entire flock has bumblefoot

wrenhen

Songster
May 14, 2021
Midwest
I have 10 chickens and a rooster, EVERYONE except one hen has bumblefoot. In BOTH feet. I didn't think anything was wrong since everybody was running around happy and healthy, even the worst one. The worst one I only noticed because she was at the door and I noticed her foot looked a little red on top. Lo and behold, beneath was bumblefoot. I decided to check everyone when I noticed one of my ducks had it in both her feet. I have yet to check every duck, but so far I'm letting all the chickens soak in the tub before treating/bandaging.
I don't know what to do other than deal with it, I don't know what to change to prevent this. I cleaned the entire coop out this morning before dealing with them, I think I'll move away from deep bedding method and try just a bi-weekly clean out. I also switched to fine shavings vs flakes.
I don't really think it's the coop being filthy being the issue though, since a duck (so far) has it and they don't go in the coop. The run area they all share is twiggy/mulchy... so I don't know what else to do with that. I cant possibly scrape up the top layer of earth and put topsoil down.

My only other thought is maybe I'm overloaded with birds? I have 11 chickens, 4 ducks, 2 call ducks. The chickens and ducks have their own coops. I haven't seen any fighting or bullying, sometimes they chase but it doesnt end in a brawl. Just like hey, I want this spot now. They share approx. 500-800 SQ ft run. (I havent measured but its significant)

Anyone else dealt with this? Is it a matter of thinning my flock? Just bad luck? Should I try and put a top layer of fine shavings on the run?

The first thing to investigate may be the bedding. How abrasive is it? Does it stick to thier feet.? Is it gross?

I've never seen any mention of what type of microbe or microbes cause bumblefoot. Does anybody know?

It was flake pine shavings, I've never seen it stuck to their feet but I have switched today to fine pine shavings to see if that will be better.

1. How many sq ft for each of the houses?
2. Do they free range any or in the coop/run area at all times?
3. Are you keeping the top layer of your bedding dry?
4. Spot cleaning each day or every other day?

Bumblefoot happens when a cut/abrasion gets infected with staphylococcus virus.

1. How many sq ft for each of the houses?
2. Do they free range any or in the coop/run area at all times?
3. Are you keeping the top layer of your bedding dry?
4. Spot cleaning each day or every other day?

Bumblefoot happens when a cut/abrasion gets infected with staphylococcus virus.

About 36 SQFT for the chickens and about 12 SQFT for the ducks. The ducks free range 24/7, they really only use the house for laying eggs and if I decide they need to be up for something. the chickens free range all day, except at night. The door auto opens at sunrise.
Bedding and outside is dry, it rarely rains and is hot.
Spot cleaning coops every couple days.

I have 10 chickens and a rooster, EVERYONE except one hen has bumblefoot. In BOTH feet. I didn't think anything was wrong since everybody was running around happy and healthy, even the worst one. The worst one I only noticed because she was at the door and I noticed her foot looked a little red on top. Lo and behold, beneath was bumblefoot. I decided to check everyone when I noticed one of my ducks had it in both her feet. I have yet to check every duck, but so far I'm letting all the chickens soak in the tub before treating/bandaging.
I don't know what to do other than deal with it, I don't know what to change to prevent this. I cleaned the entire coop out this morning before dealing with them, I think I'll move away from deep bedding method and try just a bi-weekly clean out. I also switched to fine shavings vs flakes.
I don't really think it's the coop being filthy being the issue though, since a duck (so far) has it and they don't go in the coop. The run area they all share is twiggy/mulchy... so I don't know what else to do with that. I cant possibly scrape up the top layer of earth and put topsoil down.

My only other thought is maybe I'm overloaded with birds? I have 11 chickens, 4 ducks, 2 call ducks. The chickens and ducks have their own coops. I haven't seen any fighting or bullying, sometimes they chase but it doesnt end in a brawl. Just like hey, I want this spot now. They share approx. 500-800 SQ ft run. (I havent measured but its significant)

Anyone else dealt with this? Is it a matter of thinning my flock? Just bad luck? Should I try and put a top layer of fine shavings on the run?
Is there anything new in your run/coop/ranging area/roost since that started around the time you noticed the bumblefoot (or maybe a little before?). I had several chickens get bumblefoot at the same time, and started going crazy trying to figure out why. Then one day I stuck my hand through a new-ish chicken sized door my husband had created to try and keep the dogs out of the run, and scratched myself on a piece of hardware cloth. It was in the exact spot where the chickens jump up on the door jam when they go through the door. I sanded it down and everyone has basically cleared up since.

As long as there isnt any redness nor swelling, you dont have to do anything. Sometimes bumblefoot goes away on its own. However, if there's redness and/or swelling, minor surgery is required.
Use sandpaper to sand down roosts to eliminate splinters and burrs, a couple of swipes will take care of it. Lowering roosts will also prevent bumblefoot.

Is there anything new in your run/coop/ranging area/roost since that started around the time you noticed the bumblefoot (or maybe a little before?). I had several chickens get bumblefoot at the same time, and started going crazy trying to figure out why. Then one day I stuck my hand through a new-ish chicken sized door my husband had created to try and keep the dogs out of the run, and scratched myself on a piece of hardware cloth. It was in the exact spot where the chickens jump up on the door jam when they go through the door. I sanded it down and everyone has basically cleared up since.
We recently constructed a fence around their enclosure and the contractor was not very tidy, could possibly be scrap staples and screws? I should get a magnet and scan the area regardless to just see

As long as there isnt any redness nor swelling, you dont have to do anything. Sometimes bumblefoot goes away on its own. However, if there's redness and/or swelling, minor surgery is required.
Use sandpaper to sand down roosts to eliminate splinters and burrs, a couple of swipes will take care of it. Lowering roosts will also prevent bumblefoot.
I have noticed after a few soaks and medicine some of the bumblefoot shrank considerably and I’ve let them be, only two were severe. In the future I’ll just treat the swelling ones.
It couldn’t hurt to sand their roost, it’s not very high so that’s good.

I have ducks and chickens and a long history battling bumblefoot. I have it under control now.

First, I lowered the roost. That solved it for the 2 big hens who kept having problems. Sounds like this is not an issue for you.

Second, I sanded everything that they perched on. I even covered a couple of places with waterproof tape (like flex tape).

Third, I did a massive clean out.

Fourth, I added bedding to their foraging area. The ducks were the hardest to treat. Took months. I think the biggest problem was the area where they forage during the day. I live in a wooded area, and pine cones and rocks are ubiquitous. I have added pelletized pine bedding that I then wet down so that it turns to sawdust. I pick up the pine cones and rocks as I see them and add the sawdust bedding in high traffic areas. The bedding is SOFT. Like, I could walk barefoot on it soft. And it smells amazing and absorbs all kinds of water. Love it.

Fifth, I do weekly foot checks on everyone. The ducks' feet get treated with lanolin if they get dry. I find that if their feet get dry, they are prone to cracking and injury.

Sixth, I give more fruits and veggies that are high in vitamin A (pumpkin, cantaloupe, etc.) as I read that this helps prevent bumblefoot. Don't know how much it helps, but after it took almost 3 months of nightly soaking and 2 rounds of antibiotics to get my Runner's feet healthy, I was desperate. Plus they love the treats.

It was kind of a lot of work, but my flock's had ZERO bumblefoot in almost a year now.

Back
Top Bottom